5.Scorned wife

Summary:

Back in NYC you confront the past you'd left behind.

Notes:

pls excuse the length of this chapter and it being mostly filler for the next ones - we bonding with the BAU members one by one here!!
and we building up the angst back up againnn

-----------------

Since the team was a member short, Hotch had left JJ to head to the precinct on her own while he joined Reid to the medical examiner. He watches the other man lean down, the body of the 37-years old victim exposed midriff up as they study it. Reid lets out a low hum as his eyes peruse the stab wounds on the torso.

"These are rather clean" he says, voicing the same thoughts Hotch had stirring in his head.

"Yes" says the M.E - a young man in his late 20s, "We think they were done post-mortem"

"And they're also hesitation marks" Reid says, turning to Hotch, "That's a huge change in M.O"

Hotch nods at him, his eyes now focused on the covered head of the corpse.

"And the bullet wound?" he ask the young man. He shakes his head, reaching at the body as Reid takes a step back. He removes the cloth and they both note the horrendous gaping hole on the neck as they'd seen on the photos.

"The gunshot is the cause of death" the M.E says.

"The angle is different too" Hotch addresses Reid, "the shooter is significantly taller than the victim."

"He points to the back of the head and ends down towards his neck" Reid completes.

Hotch shoves his hands in his pockets, as the M.E covers the entire body. Reid flips through the pages he'd handed them when they got in, and then turns to look at Hotch again.

"I don't think this is the same person"

--

"You got the first shift?" you ask Agent Rossi. He's been abnormally quiet the entire ride from the airport, and you imagine it's because he's here, babysitting you, instead of doing his job. "He gave you shit because it was your idea right?"

He sighs, "yes" and the car comes to a halt, right in front of your NYC condo, next to Central Park. He lets out a low whistle as he looks at the entrance - marked in gold yellow, with a doorman outside.

"I thought you didn't self-indulge" he says.

"I don't" you say, "This is the first job I took when I left the Ozarks"

"As a doorman?"

"As an on-call housecleaner" you reply. Once he parks the car, you both head out.

"How did you make that drastic change to end up as an owner?"

"The lady who took me in," out of pity, but you don't say it aloud, "she passed away and left it to me. She had no children"

At his raised eyebrows you add, rolling your eyes, "I know how that sounds, but she was older and it was a heart condition. You can dig up the files if you want"

He chuckles, and you both mumble greetings at the doorman who lets you inside.

"Ma'am" he says, tipping his hat.

"Hey, George. The ladies treating you well?"

The old man laughs, sending a wink your way. When you're in the elevator you feel Agent Rossi still staring so you continue your story.