10.Off to the Races

Summary:

You're off to the races undercover, helping the case - and you run into an old flame from the past.

Notes:

They do be undercover, though...
theme of today is DENIAL! 😌

hey all!!! thnx so much for reading im so 💕💕
This took me a shit ton of time because i've been googling so much random crap lmao like... do i look like i know anything about horses? or racetracks? nope! but now i do! hopefully lmao. i hope this still makes sense bcs i did my research, ok! if not, pls take it with a grain of salt
also a long one bcs i wanted to be done with horses in 1 chapter and i did it 😌

I hope you enjoy!!

-----------------------

For the first time in a long time, you're giddy for still finding yourself in your house. When you wake up you see the white sheet you'd draped over the portrait painting instead of Nathan's face. You'd definitely gone overboard the night before. Tiptoeing around like a thief, you'd found every single photo around the house of Nathan – of you and your husband and stuck them deep into his closet. And what you couldn't hide, you covered with sheets. 

Everything he'd ever touched. Which left you with no exposed furniture in the bedroom – everything apart from the bed. It didn't change much but at least you could sleep lighter. The smell of coffee is another thing that gets you out of bed too. You're grateful that you'd left the floors closer to the kitchen to the agents, if this how you were going to be woken up every day. Making your way downstairs in your state – drowsy with sleep and still in your nightgown, you find the entire team talking over the kitchen table. It's commendable that they're taking your words 'make yourself at home' to the T. They're in their suits and official outfits already, drinking coffee. You should have figured they'd be up early to work.

"Morning!" you call out and they respond in smiles and little waves (this being Dr. Reid), as you make a beeline to the coffee machine.

"Please never stop making coffee, I love waking up with the smell of it"

When it's ready, you turn with the mug towards them again – noting that they're all dead silent, watching you.

"Uh, everything okay?"

The girls, JJ and Agent Prentiss, watch you with a small smile. You instinctively look at Agent Hotchner – with his suit, and ever-present stern face, he's the epitome of professionalism. But so are all the others, you note – a bit too strict and frigid.

"If you want, I can lend you something to wear-" you offer, joining them near the table. It's only pure necessity that you position yourself on the right of Agent Hotchner, still seated – only because he's the head of the table and they can look at you more easily.

"I don't think you're being very undercover" you turn to Agent Hotchner, "don't you think?"

He keeps his attention to the others, his words directed only to them. "Yes, try not to look official."

You eye Dr. Reid and Morgan as well –

"I can lend something to you guys, as well. But if you don't want to change, then taking off your suit jacket is a start-"

Agent Morgan follows your suggestion with no hesitation, ridding himself of the suit jacket at once.

"-and the vest." You tell Dr. Reid, who looks saddened by the prospect. "And maybe untuck your shirt and roll up your sleeves so you look more casual."