6.Cold

Summary:

Hotch realizes something new about you - and you make a risky suggestion

Notes:

Back with a v short one!! 

(felt a bit like Hotch was very OOC last chapter after rereading it again, so I'm gonna try to keep it on track)
will promise to come back with a longer chapter - addressing at last her marital lifee oo

---------------

Hotch stares at the closed door in silence. He'd called Prentiss early in the morning to ask her what her deductions were about you only to get a confirmation of his own insofar. She'd said you opened up easily to her – talking about nothing after dinner, making easy jokes and forgetting even that you were around law enforcement, solely because you felt more at ease around women than around men. After last night, even Hotch himself had started to feel his guard down as the New York killer started to look more and more like the ex-wife of the rich divorcee. He was aware you didn't commit this murder as he joked with you over the railing. And admittedly a part of him still wondered about your relationship with Agent Greenway – she was sharp, smart and direct. And he blames himself for not paying more attention to her – even now a year later after her resignation.

He calls the police chief standing with his elbows over the railing, relaying to them what Dave told him Garcia had found – the ex-wife had a child with another man while still married. The DNA tests proved it and that was why he'd stopped paying child support and alimony. It was enough of a motive. And when Garcia told them she'd just bought tickets to flee the country, they had to catch her fast. He changes into his suit quickly after coordinating with local police department, the thin walls allowing him to hear the water from your shower still running. Upon making his go-bag as well and holstering his weapon, he stops in front of your door. 20 minutes have passed so he knocks lightly, knowing the others will arrive at the precinct not long from now. Rossi calls him to confirm as such and he knocks again after hanging up. There's no response, no insults called from the other side of the door as he expects. And he hears the water still running. He turns to look at the cars in the parking lot, he'd counted them before and he notes that apart from the SUVs the others had taken, there's only one missing.

He knocks louder this time, right hand hovering over his gun on instinct. Hotch's first though is that you've left. He'd let his guard down and you're gone. No response again – and he's quick, mimicking Morgan's actions and kicking the door open with the weight of his body.

"What the fuck -"

You stand next to your bedside table, bathroom door still open, air tasting like almonds and shea butter, and his eyes scan quickly the room, landing over the wooden surface of the furniture near you. Your eyes widen, catching what he's looking at too.

---

One minute you're brushing your teeth over the sink, towel wrapped tight around your body. The next you're out, heading to your bedroom to put back the shampoo in the bag over your bed. Seconds later the door bursts open, making you jump, the shampoo falling from your hands to your feet.

"What the fuck-" you let out, throwing another flurry of curse words at Agent Hotchner as he stands there, ready to pick up his gun. Your arms wrap around your torso, feeling exposed and bare standing in just your towel. Yet his eyes don't linger over your figure once, too caught from whatever is on your left. You look to where he's staring – the small army knife over your bedside table, something that had become a part of your life after finding out your father had escaped prison - and your heart drops.