Thorin's Decision

Elena's POV

I reach Dale and follow Bard's scent to a tent, sticking to the shadows. "Elena" he says surprised when he sees me.  He grabs a blanket and drapes it over me. I turn human and keep it around me. "Why are you here? Did Thorin send you?" he asks me.

"Yes and no" I tell him. "I needed to get away from him, he thinks he can boss me around like one of his subjects. He did want me to spy, but I'm not going too" I explain.

"Spy? On us?" Bard asks confused.

"He's sick, some sort of sickness because of the gold in the mountain" I tell him.

"I was going to see him, I just have to check on the night watch first" he states.

"I shall join you" I state and turn into a panther again. He smiles and I walk beside him as we walk through Dale. Heading to a courtyard to see Alfrid sleeping on the job. Also an army of Mirkwood elves.

"Morning, Alfrid. What news from the night watch?" Bard asks waking him.

"All quiet, Sire. Not much to report. Nothing gets past me" Alfrid lies and I roll my eyes.

"Except an army of Elves, it would seem" Bard drawls. I chaff in amusement as Thranduil approaches on his deer. "My Lord Thranduil, we did not look to see you here" Bard says.

"I heard you needed aid" Thranduil states and gestures behind him. Elves bring in carriages full of food and supplies which the Lake-towners gather around to take in excitement.

"You have saved us. I do not know how to thank you" Bard tells him.

"Your gratitude is misplaced. I did not come on your behalf. I came to reclaim something of mine" Thranduil states. He goes to lead his army to the mountain. I jump in front of them growling lowly. I maybe angry with Thorin, but no one is hurting the company on my watch.

"Wait! Please, wait! You will go to war over a handful of gems?" Bard asks as he stands beside me.

"The heirlooms of my people are not lightly forsaken" Thranduil tells him.

"We are allies in this. My people also have claim upon the riches in that Mountain. Let me speak with Thorin" Bard pleads.

"You would try to reason with the Dwarf?" Thranduil asks with a raised eyebrow.

"To avoid war? Yes" Bard states. "Will you come with me?" he asks me. I shake my head and he leaves for the mountain.

"You need clothes again?" Thranduil asks me with a smirk. I glare at him unamused. "I shall have someone fetch you some clothes" he tells me. He sees to it and I lay on a cot waiting. An elf soon appears and gives me some clothes before leaving. I turn human and got dressed quickly. I decide to have a nap as I didn't get any last with escaping a dragon, journeying to the mountain, searching for the stone and lastly coming back here. I fall asleep.

(Next morning)

I wake up and stretch. "Did you sleep well?" Gandalf asks.

"About time you showed up, Thorin has gone mad" I tell him.

"So I have heard, Bilbo gave us the Arkenstone. We are going to trade it for what was promised to Lake Town as well as Thranduil's gems. To avoid war" he tells me.

"I don't think that will work, but go for it" I tell him.

"I want you to stay here and watch over Bilbo" he tells me.

"Bilbo will be safe here, I'd rather see how this plays out" I tell him.

"Very well, we are leaving now" he states. We leave the tent and join the others going to the mountain. The Mirkwood Elves lead by Thranduil and a small army of men lead by Bard. Who is on horse back. We march to the mountain and are meet by a flying arrow. That lands in front of Thranduil.

"I will put the next one between your eyes" Thorin threatens Thranduil. The dwarves cheer for Thorin.Thranduil makes a hand gesture to his Elf army. They draw their arrows and aims them at the dwarves. All but Thorin hide behind the stone wall. Thranduil makes another hand gesture and his army stands down.

"We've come to tell you payment of your debt has been offered and accepted" Thranduil tells Thorin.

"What payment? I gave you nothing. You have nothing" Thorin states.

Bard takes out the Arkenstone and holds it up. "We have this" he states.

"They have the Arkenstone. Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the king!" Kili shouts.

"The King may have it, with our good will" I state as I examine my claws. As Bard pockets the stone.

"But first he must honor his word" Bard adds.

"They're taking us for fools. This is a ruse, and a filthy lie. The Arkenstone is in this Mountain, it is a trick" Thorin states.

"I-it's no trick. The stone is real. I gave it to them" Bilbo stutters from behind the company. I curse him silently. He is suppose to be safe in Dale. After an altercation where Bilbo is nearly thrown off of the mountain. He climbs down a rope and runs over to me. I wrap an arm around his shoulders glaring up at Thorin.

"You're not making a very splendid figure as King under the Mountain, are you? Thorin, son of Thrain?" Gandalf asks.

"Never again will I have dealings with wizards! Or Shire-rats and beasts in human form" Thorin sneers. I growl showing my fangs. A beast, am I? I'll show him a beast.

"Are we resolved? The return of the Arkenstone for what was promised?" Bard asks him. Thorin looks at the horizon and I take a deep breath. I smell something approaching. It smells like dwarves and goats. " Give us your answer. Will you have peace or war?" he asks him.

Just as Thorin's about to decide a black crow lands in front of him. "I will have war" Thorin declares. As an army of Dwarves led by another member of Thorin's kin arrives. I hear Gandalf say the name Ironfoot.

A/N

Pictures above of Thorin's decision and picture on the external link of Thranduil with his army.

Elena: How could you let Thorin choose war?

Author: I have no control over him, he's sick

Elena: that's no excuse for letting him go to war with the Mirkwood Elves

Author: all will work itself out, you'll see Beorn soon

Elena: Really? 

Author: be patient and focus on the fight ahead *Elena nods her head* See you all next time during the Battle of the Five Armies