Leaving The Shire

Elena's POV

I wake up the next morning and help the dwarves clean Bilbo's hobbit hole. We then mount our horses and leave Bilbo's. "Hey Elena!" Fili calls as he rides over with Kili.

"How can I help you boys?" I ask them politely.

"We wanted to know your story" Kili states.

"Yeah, where are you from?" Fili asks.

"How did you tame a mustang?" Kili asks.

"Do you have family?" Fili asks and Kili goes to ask another question.

"Whoa slow down" I tell them and they go silent. "I live close the Shire, by myself. I lost my family to orcs sixteen years ago. I rescued Garth and he's been loyal to me ever since" I explain.

"Hey lads, lass we're making bets" Bofur calls.

"Yeah on wither or not Bilbo will come" Gloin adds.

"I don't gamble, if I did I'd put my money on Bilbo coming" I tell them.

"We bet on Bilbo coming" Kili and Fili tell them.

"Good luck boys" I say smiling.

"So any husband?" Kili asks me and I roll my eyes.

"No, I won't risk losing another family" I tell them. "I protect the Shire, that is my reason for being now. I come only to protect Bilbo, then I return to my quiet life" I state.

"You never know you might find a new reason for life on this journey" Fili tells me.

"I doubt it" I tell him chuckling. "You all sang lovely last night" I tell them.

"Oh you'll be hearing a lot of songs on this journey" they tells me.

"I look forward to it" I tell them smiling.

"Do you sing?" Kili asks me.

"Not really, I hum occasionally" I say shrugging.

"I bet you have a lovely voice" Fili tells me.

"Wait! Wait!" we hear someone shouts. We all stop and turn to see Bilbo running over to us. With the contract in his hand and a travel pack on his back. "I signed it" he states handing the contract to Balin.

Balin takes the contract and inspects it with a pocket glass. He then smiles at Bilbo. "Everything appears to be in order. Welcome, Master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield" he says. "Are you sure you don't wish to sign it lass?" he asks me.

"I'm sure Balin" I tell him nodding my head.

"Give him a pony" Thorin instructs.

"No, no, no, no, that--that won't be necessary" Bilbo protests. Bilbo's speech is cut off as Fili and Kili ride alongside him. They pick him up from behind to put him on a pony. The pony neighs and tosses its head, making Bilbo quite uncomfortable.

"Relax Bilbo, she won't hurt you" I assure him. As Gandalf and I ride either side of him.

"Come on, Nori, pay up. Go on" Oin tells the others. Nori tosses a sack of money to Oin; sacks of money begin passing between the dwarves. "Hey, hey, hey" he protests and I laugh with the other dwarves.

"What's that about?" Bilbo asks us confused.

"Oh, they took wagers on whether or not you'd turn up" I tell him.

"Most bet you wouldn't show" Gandalf adds.

"What did you think?" Bilbo asks us. Gandalf catches a sack of money tossed to him and puts it in his bag.

"My dear fellow, I never doubted you for a second" Gandalf tells him smiling.

"I don't bet with my money, only my life" I tell him smiling. He smiles back, then sneezes.

"All this horse hair, I'm having a reaction" Bilbo complains. Bilbo searches his pockets for something. He seems to not be able to find it. "Stop! We have to turn around" he tells us.

The entire company comes to a halt, and the dwarves start objecting and asking what the problem is. "What on earth is the matter?" Gandalf asks Bilbo.

"I forgot my handkerchief" Bilbo answers and I giggle. Bofur tears a strip of cloth from his clothing and tosses it to Bilbo. Telling him to us it. Bilbo catches the rag and looks at it in disgust. The dwarves laugh and begin to continue our journey.

"You'll have to manage without pocket-handkerchiefs and a good many other things, Bilbo Baggins, before we reach our journey's end" I tell him.

"You were born to the rolling hills and little rivers of the Shire, but home is now behind you; the world is ahead" Gandalf adds. We follow the rest of the company. Bilbo follows us.

A/N

Picture above of the dwarves on their ponies and on the external link of Bilbo on a pony.

Elena: I could get there quicker in panther form

Author: that maybe true, but I'm en-charge of this story

Elena: then get Fili and Kili to stop asking me questions

Kili: I found her!

Fili: *runs overs*

Elena: gotta run *gallops away on Garth*

Fili and Kili: *ride after her on their ponies*

Author: see you all next year when Elena faces the Mountain Trolls