Ch 6 - The Lake

"And your family?"

"And your family?"

The man questioned as he walked alongside the blonde, going against the wind. His hands locked behind his back and his eyes glued to her as they dazzled in conversation. One too deep and vulnerable, one might say. His heels clicked on the brick ground and her hands clenched onto her (his) jacket, tightening it around her as one might with a blanket.

She always hated the cold.

"My mother passed away when I was very young,"

She responded, feeling the chilly wind meet her glassy eyes, making them sting a little. The winter allergies must be getting to her.

"I'm sorry to hear that."

The gentleness in his voice calmed down the air around them as he looked straight ahead again, not wanting to look her in the eye.

"I barely got to know her, you know?"

She turned to him as her voice cracked at the end, looking at him with her big brown orbs in sadness, though a small smile was on her face. He still wouldn't look at her though.

Instead, he wrapped his arm around her shoulder and drifted her body to his, embracing her as she rested her head on his chest.

"It's okay. I barely got to know my father too."

He expressed, caressing her arm in comfort as they walked deeper into the path.

It was all too smooth and gentle, just two adults enjoying their time together on their first date.

The only thing abnormal, though, was that he had murder on his mind. She was too innocent to notice.

She felt tingles run through her body at the feel of his touch. Her breathing grew lighter as she relaxed, feeling safe and at ease in his arms.

His height allowed her to level with his chest, making it easier for the both of them to lock together.

"Did he pass away when you were young too?"

She questioned quietly--he was close enough to hear her words.

"I was fourteen. But he was always busy with work, so I didn't spend much time with my father."

He responded as she felt the vibration of his voice.

"I'm sorry."

She said, leaving the cold breeze of air to fill the silence for the next couple of moments.

However awful it might be, there was finally someone who can relate to her.

Although Loke was always there for her, he would never truly understand the pain she had endured in losing her mother. The knot that lives in your chest, day to day, hour to hour.

But this man... he does. He does understand.

"What about your father?"

He fixed his throat right before he spoke again, a hint of stiffness in his voice. He had spoken with so much tenderness before, but now... it seemed cold and empty.