Ch 12 - Blood Feud

She paced back and forth by the fireplace, nervously playing with her fingers

The clock slowly ticked, and it ticked, and it ticked.

"He's taking long..." she mumbled, her breathing considerably growing faster.

Could she even trust him?

He was never honest with her before.

What if this was just a way to lure her back in?

She cannot get sucked back into this life. Into the life he wanted for her. Into the life she escaped.

She wanted a fresh start. And she was getting that with Nathan and her journalist job. She had a new beginning.

But her father...he was always holding her back. Always chaining her to everything she wanted to leave behind.

And she could not have that anymore.

"Do you think this was a good idea?" She paused, her feet rooted to the ground as she looked up and into the Don's eyes.

They were blank. Dark and empty as he devoured her with his gaze. He stood in the dim corner of the room with arms locked behind his back, coldly observing her. His lips silent and his expression solid.

A predator. A silent predator.

"Was it?" She asked again, right as footsteps trailed through the entrance.

Her father.

"Lucy," he called out, stepping towards her with his arms wide, a huge smile on his face.

Not taking notice of the deathly presence hanging in the air. 'Though still, he felt it was chilly. Cooler than the other areas of his mansion. More silent, quiet. More deadly. Haunting.

She stood a little too close to the fire as her gaze met her fathers'. Her legs heating up. She straightened out her arms by her sides and slightly widened her eyes.

It was the first time she had seen him in a year.

He looked older. More wrinkly. Weaker. Grayer.

"You came," he said as he embraced her. She didn't hug back. She only forced a small smile as she let out an almost struggling noise, looking out the side of her eye at Natsu, as if asking for help.

The Don stepped into the light as his eyes grew duller. His heels clicked on the ground before stepping onto the antique rug. Heavy. Deathly.

As if each step was a warning. 

He sat back on the armchair, resting as he spread his legs for comfort.

Waiting.

"Come," Jude gestured. "Sit. We have much to discuss,"

"W-Wait," Lucy said, looking behind her father, directly into Natsu's eyes.

"Father, I'd like you to meet someone," she said, brushing her shoulder with his as she walked towards the Don.