Ch 7 - The Day Before

"Did you get the files prepared, Lucy?" Her manager, Kyra, questioned from a short distance.

She was seated on her white swivel chair in her office that was right across from Lucy's cubicle; she had a see-through-glass door that could be spoken through.

The blonde's hand was glued to her mouse and her eyes were fixated on her computer screen as she was working.

"I already put them on your desk," She shifted her gaze to Kyra, whom she could see from her seat.

"Oh, I see them," The blue-eyed brunette chuckled at her own obliviousness.

The blonde shook her head with a small smile as she looked back at her screen, typing on her keyboard, sharply focused.

Suddenly, she heard her cell phone vibrating on her desk, interrupting her train of thought. She glanced over at her phone screen and saw her best friend, Levy, calling her.

She sighed as she picked up the phone and answered the call.

"Hello?" She initiated after placing the phone against her ear.

"Lucy?"

"Hey Lev," The blonde greeted, tapping her fingers against her desk in stress.

She doesn't have much time to waste. In her work environment, Lucy is sufficiently serious about getting her stuff done. She likes to stretch her potential and abilities as much as she could so she could achieve her dream one day—the dream to be a known author with published books and novels.

Currently, she has a paper she needs to submit to her manager in thirty minutes and she is nowhere near done.

"What's up?" she questioned.

"Well..."

The bluette took a moment to gather up her strength to speak.

"Something wrong?" The blonde narrowed her eyebrows, feeling the tension Levy was radiating.

"I'd like to see you," she said softly.

"I'm kinda busy right now Lev, is it urgent?"

"It is. I'm sorry, I really wouldn't be asking you this if it wasn't."

The blonde leaned against her desk,

"What's wrong?" she lowered her tone.

"Can you meet me at Sal's coffee shop in ten?"

The blonde stuttered, scratching her head as she looked at her computer screen in helplessness.

"Of course." She responded.

However-much importance her dream held, her friends were always more important.

"I'll see you," The bluette said before hanging up the phone.

She sighed as she dropped her phone on her desk and placed her hands on her forehead, rubbing her temples. Her head had been pounding since nine o'clock in the morning, and the added stress wasn't helping.

She got up from her chair and walked over to her manager's office.

She lifted her tiny fist and knocked on the glass door twice, instantly catching Kyra's attention.

"Can I come in?" She questioned hesitantly and nervously.

She had taken so many days off work after the incident last week that it seemed embarrassing to ask for more.

Her manager had no idea of what she had been through, which made it worse. Asking to leave early now would seem like she was pushing it. She was afraid Kyra would think she was taking advantage of their friendship when she really didn't want it to seem that way.