The Unwanted War and the Silence

"Please seat yourself Guruji!" Yudhishthira exclaimed bowing low.

Kunti had just left the chambers to see to it that the esteemed guru was accommodated in a way befitted for him.

"That's fine Putra!" Drona said smiling as he seated himself nevertheless. 

The eldest Pandav as always was seeing to it that his guru was comfortable and at ease, after all, it was his dharma. Bhim though standing quietly was contemplating the reason for the guru's abrupt visit and Sehdev was calmly standing in the corner his hands folded in regard. But that wasn't the reason Drona's right eyebrow was raised marginally. Arjun, referred by many as Drona's favourite and most promising pupil was standing in the corner his face deadpan and his hands behind his back as if holding himself back. Nakul was blatantly standing beside the middle Pandav, discontent written on his face.

"Is something wrong, Aradhya?" Drona asked letting out a small chuckle.

"You tell me Guruji, what is the reason for your unexpected visit?" Nakul asked, his voice mockingly polite.

"Why do feel like I am not welcome here princes?" Drona said standing, his angavastram flung across his wrist due to the sudden motion.

"Do not say that Guruji, I am sure Nakul didn't mean that!" Yudhishthira said mustering as much courtesy as he could. Nakul was about to speak something but stopped as he felt a hand around his wrist. He turned around to see Arjun shaking his head.

As Drona seated himself a man in his 20's clad in saffron and yellow garments entered the chambers. His greasy black locks were left open and rudraksha beads adorned his toned muscles. A gem was placed on his forehead and it was clear that the swarthy man was no other than Drona's son, Ashwathama.

"What is he doing here?" Arjun spoke, his words dripping with venom.

-:-

Draupadi had just returned from a tiring yet enjoyable practice session with her elder sister, Shikhandini. Though she was filled with fatigue and sleep is what her body desired, she decided against it and decided to take a relaxing bath first.

The water was just the right temperature and as she entered the bath she made a loose bun wanting to rinse the dirt off first and then wash her hair. As she placed a stray strand of hair behind her left ear she felt a scar travelling down towards the end of her neck. It wasn't very long or deep, her brother had come in time.

Draupadi tensed as Arjun's hand travelled to the scar. He immediately broke the kiss worry evident on his face. He tilted her face slightly to get a better look at it and was now curiously looking at her wanting her to tell him about it.

"Oh, it's nothing! Dyumna and I took the practice a little too far that one day." Draupadi said intentionally not meeting Arjun's eyes.

"I have known you for more than a decade, I know when you lie,"  Arjun said leaning back.

"Well, remember I told you about the stunt that Ashwathama pulled off, why I had to leave?"  Draupadi said hesitantly. Arjun just nodded.

"We were told that Guru Drona had already taken his son along with him, but when we reached there, I was told by a forest scout, with whom I had been friends before coming to Gurukul, that he had seen Ashwathama, a little far from the shores. As soon as I heard that, I rode away on my horse, I know it was not a very wise decision on my part! But I was enraged, having to see my father defeated, my kingdom sullen and above that the agony I felt from being separated from you." Draupadi choked with emotions and Arjun let his presence and support be known to her by pulling her closer.