A Prankster Brother and the Colours of Love

Draupadi woke up with her body dripping with ice-cold water. At first, shock overcame her and then realization hit.

"You are going to regret this!" Draupadi said angrily and just as she turned around to face him she was met with her brother holding a plate of green powdered colour and before Draupadi could shield herself green specks stuck to her wet body. 

After wiping the colours near her eyes when she opened them the prince knew he was in trouble. Interested to live a decade or two more he broke into a run. He had a head start but he knew his sister would catch up to him in no time and, unfortunately, he was right. She was inches away from him carrying a plate full of saffron powdered colour made by pulverizing flowers of Palash.

-:-

Arjun was forced to wake up from his sleep because of the voice of his persistent brother. He groaned and rubbed his eyes to send sleep away. But then he conscious reminded him that it was Holi and he was sitting beside Nakul. As if sleep had never touched him Arjun recoiled, getting as far as he could get from his mischievous brother.

"Jeshtha, are you fine? It's like you have seen a ghost! I am not that bad looking now am I?" Nakul said his face not giving away anything. And that is what intrigued Arjun. 

"Nothing, It's just that you haven't mutilated me with colours and water yet." Arjun said nonchalantly, his eyes never leaving Nakul, vary of sudden movements.

"Oh, well we aren't in Hastinapur are we? Imagine if word got out that the greatest archer of the time was tricked by a mere boy of 20! You may not care about your reputation Jeshtha but I do!" Nakul replied casually. 

"Right!" Arjun said sarcastically he could have been more cautious but he was in a good mood. After all, he was going to see Prishati. He still couldn't digest the fact that now she was not only in her dreams but when he woke up from them she would be there. And he couldn't help feeling giddy. Smiling he got up from his bed. Well, not actually his. He wished he was in Hastinapura but not really. With a smile playing on his face he got up to go to the lavatory to freshen up and as he was about to enter he noticed something strange on the floor. Before he could help it, his foot had touched what Arjun had already figured was some sort of trigger. Generally, Arjun would e more than happy that he was right about something but now, not so much. Within a matter of seconds, he was drenched in ice-cold water. Moreover, powdered colour had been infused with it resulting in a wet Arjun with red-stained clothes. He was used to it because this happened every Holi. But it was never boring because Nakul took time to make innovative plans to main his brother with colours. But just because he was it coming didn't mean he wasn't infuriated. 

"Oh no, you didn't little brother!" Arjun said turning towards Nakul menacingly.

Nakul had already pulled up his dhoti so that it didn't deescalate his speed while running because he knew he may be good at pranks but once Arjun got his hands on him Nakul was done for. And within no time Nakul ran for his life and Arjun followed. His hands were full of powdered colour some of which plummeted to the floor as he ran after the younger prince. 

-:-

Draupadi had taken a bath and replaced her wet and colour stained clothes with a cotton sky blue lehenga and blouse which had no embroidery in them except the gold border making it lightweight. Her net angavastram though of the same colour had clusters of gold beads sewn into them at intervals making each cluster appear as a small flower. One end of the angavastram went up to her right shoulder and the other put in place with a simple gold kamarbandh was attached to her lehenga's back. A dupatta made of similar fabric and design as to that of the angavastram was attached to her hair with pins. Her hair not fully dry were braided to protect them from damage in the exuberant festival. Her head was adorned with a simple gold maangteeka with a sole gem. Her ears were adorned with miniature gold earrings one of which reached her nose to appear as a nose ring. She never thought of how she looked because that was her twin's job but today she felt beautiful, for the first in well, forever she felt like twirling around.