The Ultimate Answer and the Nightly Debate

"What is it that a human being strives for?"

The group of students and their teacher huddled under the banyan tree, stayed silent for a few moments. Drona gave them time to think, when no one raised their hand, he knew they needed a little urging.

"Dhairya, why don't you try?"

"Self-control. One should strive for calming oneself such that the action of others shouldn't change one's actions."

Before Drona could speak,  Aradhya's hand shot up.

"Yes, Aradhya, you want to add something?" Drona asked.

"No, Guruji. I have to object."

"Proceed." Drona said his face, inscrutable.

"Your question was not what one should strive for, but what one strives for. A human being in his heart wants is to live his life with love. But what he actually strives for is very distinct. Humans today are misguided by reaching for the meaningless worldly pleasures. Today, one strives to be wealthier than the person on his right, and more successful than the person on his left. However, unethical it may seem. It is the truth. "

"Hmm... What if I had asked what one should strive for?"

Now Parth was the one whose hand shot up.

'Yes."

"Love." Parth said.

"Would you like to elaborate."

"I do not feel the need to. Love, itself is the ultimate answer."

"And what is love?"

"What frees us of all of the weight and pain, or gives us the strength to walk through them."

"And love towards?"

"Everything. Everyone, known or unknown. Love towards the air that lets you breathe, and the trees that give you fruits, to the mother that nurtures you, to the father who protects you, to the stranger who is walking past you. Kindness, considered the root of dharma is also is a child of love. Without love, you cannot be kind, and you cannot think what is right for all those around you. Jeshtha said self-control. I disagree, if we are not affected by the actions of others, we are ruthless. We will do what we think is right, regardless of whether it will impact others or not. Gratitude towards everything and everyone is also an element of love. Love is what everyone should strive for." Parth said.

"So, you disagree with war?" Drona said, acting puzzled.

"War is not something to look forward to and it is laughable that I say this in the age of Kshatriya. War today is not a necessity but a celebration. Bloodthirst is what drives people and victory is what motivates them."

"How many of you think being a warrior is not something to be proud of?"

Prishati raised her hand.

"Yes, Prishati."

"To be a warrior is to protect those you love, which is noble. But when the defeat of the enemy matters more than your victory, it is a shame."

"So, you also think victory is not what one should strive for?"

"Victory is pleasant, but it is not the point, the will to be victorious is. What happens is not in our hands, but what we strive for to happen is. And more than striving for the victory is the preparation for accepting the loss. And in truth, we never lose. We win or we learn."

"Hmm... Today's session ends her, your work as always is to mull over this discussion." Drona said getting up.

As Parth was going towards his brothers, he halted in his path, as Prishati was standing in front of him.