The Coming of Age and the Hay Walls

"Putri!" a voice came from the royal bed.

Draupadi had returned to a wrecked Panchal and a weakened father. She saw her father distraught and defeated like he had lost the only person he cared for, his one true friend and she knew how he felt. She had even thought of getting permission to go back just to tell Parth who she was but she thought better of it as Drupad, the mighty Panchalnaresh suffered from a heart attack which he thankfully survived but nonetheless, it left him severely weakened. Shikhandini was single-handedly administering the vandalised kingdom. Word of the king's health had not got out as the kingdom was already withered by the recent battle and the news of the King's ill health would just give more reasons for the innumerable foes to attack. Drishtdyumna had been appointed as second in command to the military commander. There were whispers in the walls of the palace of Kampilya that Draupadi's work undermined her potential but she didn't mind. All she wanted was to see her father be the man he had once been. With a body so frail and a spirit so dampened he needed almost a 24-hour supervision and Draupadi had volunteered. At night, Drupad asked Draupadi to return to her chambers as she too needed rest. Draupadi left because she didn't want to defy her father but she snuck back in when the King was sleeping, partly to keep an eye on him and partly to take her mind off some things. Like the fact that she may never see her favourite person in the world again. She couldn't dwell on it, the pain was unbearable. 

As soon as she heard the voice, she kept down the Samadhi Pada and hurried towards the royal bed. It was a delightful day. Suryadev in all his might was shining vigorously but charmingly. The plants seemed to be rejoicing and the sand was pleasingly warm. Everything seemed perfect but if only they knew what storm was brewing in the heart of the fireborn. A soft breeze was playing which was disheartened when it saw the strand of the princess's hair clipped so that it didn't escape. The breeze heard its cries but there was only little it could do. Ramya, Draupadi's dasi had clipped it this morning and Draupadi hadn't objected. What use was of the strand when there was no one to push it back? Her hair was tied in a tight bun. Draupadi's gold anklets jingled as she paced and her lilac dhoti and choli were trying their best to keep the olive angavastram from flowing in the breeze. Her caramel skin glistened as the sun rays hit her, diffused by the mirror hangings on the balcony. 

"What happened Baba?" she asked her voice soft, filled with concern.

"Nothing wrong my love, I just wanted to wish you," he said smiling. It was true he did look a lot better today. His childhood friend's words had hit him hard, his body would heal but the deeper wounds were hidden beneath. There is nothing worse than being betrayed by the only one you trusted. 

"Wish me what, Baba?" Draupadi asked perplexed.

"Happy birthday my dear Draupadi!" Drupad said smiling ruefully, blaming himself to be the cause of her daughter forgetting her own birthday. Draupadi stiffened, she thought she would break then and there but she knew she couldn't. She took in a deep breath and managed a smile.

"Thank you, Baba," she said softly.

"Go on give yourself a break. I know you sneak in at night. Don't worry about your old father. Go!"

Draupadi didn't need to hear it twice she had already turned to leave, she couldn't let him see her tears. As soon as she left his chambers, she broke into a run. Desperate to be alone. She closed the doors behind her and let herself sink to the floor. She cried like never before. It had been a month. A month without him. He wanted to give her something and what did she do, left without even telling him. It felt impossible, every second that passed seemed like a burden. Every breath she took in, felt wrong. Her mere existence seemed immoral now that she didn't have his shoulder to rest her head on. 

-:-

"Son, would you tell me something?" Drupad asked.