The Rider and the Puppeteer

A lot had changed in two years. Like Drishtdyumna's sense of fashion. He didn't feel the need to wear angavastrams anymore. Initially, everyone protested, but when he put forward the point that he was going to lose them anyway, everyone accepted. Draupadi not so much, she wore the usual modest attires with minimal jewellery. 

"You run like a woman, Drau!" Drishtdyumna panted after beating his sister in a race.

Before Draupadi could reply, the father of the two spoke.

"Putra, never underestimate the power of a woman, you think they are inferior to you?  A woman is a complete circle, she has the power to create and nurture, and if provided with the opportunities she can even destroy. But if we see men as inferior we will again be in the wrong. God created everyone the same Drishtdyumna. Indeed they both have different roles, God has gifted women with the title of nurturer but it is upon us to give her a choice to also be the provider if she wishes so. Why is that always men have to protect, if given the opportunities women can do so too? And it is you the future of Aryavarta who have to carry forwards this idea to accomplish your duty of improving the land on which you were born and educating the people with whom you were born."

Drishtdyumna stayed silent. Draupadi knew he was thinking. Her brother from such a small age was very logical, he would think over everything that Drupad had said and would agree only if it was logical.

"You are right, Baba! Drau I apologize for making that inappropriate comment." he said sincerely.

Draupadi smiled.

"But I still win right?" he asked grinning.

Again before Draupadi could object they heard noises from outside the palace. The twins ran to the balcony, which was too tall for them, so they saw the commotion from the spaces between the balustrades. They could only see a lot of people huddled around and they couldn't see what they were so enthusiastic about. Draupadi turned back to see her father as she was perplexed why he hadn't come to the balcony yet. She saw him smiling, a smile she couldn't comprehend.

"Drau, see! There is a horse rider." after a moment, "Or rideress." he added.

"Dyumna, the term rider is gender-neutral, but I appreciate your effort." Draupadi smiled and turned back towards the commotion. 

Drishtdyumna turned towards his smiling father, "Baba can we-"

"Yes, you can." he said.

"What?" Draupadi was shocked, their father never let them go out like that, especially when people were hoarding.

"Shh, let's go before he changes his mind." Drau said running away. Draupadi followed.

After a few minutes of running, they reached the area. Indeed they were being followed by the royal guards but still, they felt as if they were free for the first time. They loved being in the palace with their father, but once in a while, they would have liked to just buy a bracelet of coloured beads from the shop in the corner of the street.

Their small figures and the guards who accompanied them resulted in them viewing the cause of the commotion from the first ring of the circle. From a distance, they saw a group of horses going towards the way they had come. All of them were royal guards except one. The one in whom everyone was interested. They couldn't see who mounted the horse as the person wore a cape which pulled over the head. The black cotton cape on the white horse looked sumptuous. When the mysterious rider had just passed the twins it willed its carrier to halt. The rider jumped down the horse coming straight towards them. The twins without a word or even a look held hands. Drishtdyumna turned back seeing if the royal guards were ready if anything was to happen, to his astonishment they were smiling. He turned back towards the figure clutching Drauapdi's hand even tighter. The rider now just in front of them, after a moment of contemplation came down to its knees and with its right hand pulled the hood down making the visage visible. The face of a warrior. The face of a girl.