The Festival of Colours and the Unseasonal Mango

"Bless that generous man! If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have been able to reach Kampilya for Holi." Drishtdyumna huffed. The 22-year old was wearing a navy blue taffeta silk dhoti with miniature gold woven flowers disseminated over it. To complement the heavy dhoti, he was wearing a light sky blue netted angavastram bordered with the same golden flowers. His swarthy skin was adorned with minimal gold jewellery. He was wearing clothes that were too opulent even for him. But that wasn't what was shocking it was his stubble. Draupadi didn't know what to make of it but the Kashian princess, Bhagvati particularly cherished it and she was the reason her twin wanted to get home so fast.

The royal twins returning from the kingdom of Vidarbha. Draupadi had some trade negotiations to do and well Drishtdyumna was free. The king seemed like a very good man and probably not the most practical and agreed to her side of the deal quite easily and she wasn't complaining. Their journey had been planned such that they would reach home days before the festival even started but the unseasonal storm had ruined the plans. The festival of colour was tomorrow but the auspicious ritual of the burning of Holika's pyre was to be performed today. The generous king of Vidarbha had blended the royal twins the fastest of his horses and a platoon of around 20 soldiers to clear out the forests at a breakneck speed as that was the shortest way to Panchal. They had crossed the woods and had entered their kingdom but were still about an hour away from home. 

"Did I tell you that you look good?" Drishtdyumna asked trying to hide his smile.

"Yes, about a hundred times!" Draupadi said shaking her head.

Drishtdyumna just smiled proud of himself.

"Credit is due where it is due. Thank you for not letting me wear the red lehenga and the black blouse. Even though I don't get why but anyways thank you!" Draupadi said looking at his brother affectionately.

"Pfft! That was nothing! Remember that one time you decide to wear navy blue and black together? What a total disaster that would have been!" Drishtdyuman remembered.

"Yes if you hadn't knocked some sense in me I would have lost that debate!" Draupadi said managing to keep a straight face.

"Ye- Wait, what? Were you making fun of me all this time!" Drishtdyumna said exasperated.

"No, I was talking about your great sense of style. If you step out on the battlefield you don't even need to unsheath your sword! Your enemies will fear you as soon as they see you in a red dhoti and green angavastram!" Draupadi said grinning.

"They don't even go together!" Drishtdyumna said trying to stay angry but failing miserably. And he cherished every moment that she grinned now because it happened so seldom. Since she had the epiphany she had these outbursts of grief in which she locked herself in her chambers. She was never entirely happy since she had left Parth behind but now that she had gotten an even bigger reason to find him that pain had intensified. 

-:-

"Will you stop doing that?" Arjun said exasperated.

"Doing what?" Nakul said acting innocent.

"Don't act like you don't know what I am talking about!" Arjun said grumpily.

"But I don't know what you are talking about Jeshtha!" Nakul said barely retaining his smile.

"Oh, I don't know maybe gawking at that maiden over there for the past five minutes!" Arjun said narrowing his eyes.

"What? It's not my fault she is beautiful! I am telling you this place is full of beautiful women! And the princess! They won't stop talking about her! I hoped to see her!" Nakul said sighing.