Chapter | Twelve

Paris wasn't always peaceful, it hadn't been for a few years since Hawkmoth appeared, but this was another level of chaos that an akuma couldn't cause if it tried. In fact there had been no sign of Hawkmoth for the past few days, and Alya knew why. 

The night that Ladybug and Chat Noir started to trend throughout all social media platforms and news outlets, it brought all sorts of attention to them in the city. Alya knew she saw the CIA and FBI here. She knew that people would be drawn here, and suddenly Hawkmoth was not the biggest enemy. She could bet her miraculous that Hawkmoth was radio silent so no one could track him, and that this was scaring him too. 

There was no doubt in her mind that the miraculous would be sought and seized at a moment's notice. It was a surprise to her when Paris was all over the news, because this whole time she assumed the world knew about Paris and the heroes. She took it as everyone in the world being more captivated by the Avengers and other world issues going on. 

She was wrong. 

Her first instinct had been to call Nino about this, but she couldn't. It had been a few rough weeks since he broke up with her, and a lot of things had happened since. She wasn't sure exactly when she noticed it, but things had shifted. Adrien was friends with Chloe now, and the two were strangely close. The class had become more mellowed out, and Lila had been quiet. No new story had been heard. Then there was Nino, who often kept too himself or visited the Dupain-Cheng bakery. 

She was seeing more clearly now, and now she saw how much Nino was beating himself up being a bad friend. Alya knew she wasn't there for Marinette, and she knew she was a shitty friend. She could only imagine the self guilt Nino inflicted on himself. It was no excuse on her part though, she made her bad choices in believing the wrong person. She had to see the consequences through, and if this was her punishment by losing Nino- then it was her due to pay.

Still Alya couldn't help but stand in front of one of the local coffee shops to watch the news that was playing. She was still processing how the whole world knew now, and they were circling like vultures. Where was their Mayor? No officials were speaking publicly, and apparently the governments didn't want to talk to Andre Bourgeois at all. They were calling for Ladybug and Chat Noir. 

"It's odd, isn't?" 

Alya turned her head to look at Kagami, surprised that the fencer girl was even speaking to her. They never had anything in common to speak on, let alone a mutual friend besides Adrien. In that moment, Alya wasn't sure why Kagami was speaking to her and that made her go on edge. 

"That the whole world is watching Paris?" Alya raised an eyebrow, "I guess at some point the truth comes out and people have to see it clearly."

Kagami never looked Alya's way, "Are you?"

"Am I what?" Alya asked, lips turning to frown.

"Seeing clearly." Kagami said it simply, as it were obvious. "Has the truth come out yet for you to see clearly?"

Alya took in a sharp breath, "What exactly are you getting at? Is this about Marinette and Lila?"

Kagami knew that things were changing, and that also meant people. She had already noticed the change in both Chloe and Adrien, how the two were thick as thieves. Chloe had honestly grown as a person, grown into someone who was trying to rectify her wrongs and make a change that was impactful. Adrien was less guilt ridden, seeming to have gotten his head out of his ass and was trying to make a change as well. He seemed to understand his wrongs, and how he was fixing it she wasn't sure. 

Luka was changing as well, and Kagami worried about his path. Luka was always a happy go lucky type of guy, and after his recent akuma scene he was more reserved about his feelings. She also knew and understood that Luka was in love with Marinette, and as much as it hurt him she was smitten with someone else she knew he was also happy someone was there in Marinette's corner. Kagami fully believed he had been more hurt that Marinette just didn't let them in her corner, but she wouldn't expect Marinette to outright tell them the truth either. She hadn't been ready then, and probably still wasn't.