Chapter Eight

Spider-Man was one the more active heroes that stayed local, and Marinette couldn't help but believe that was due to the fact that it was believed Spider-Man was on the younger side. Perhaps a teenager as well, but no one really knew much about him. Everything was interaction based, and his behavior was saying teenager. Sometimes she wondered if he had the same difficulties as she had with his civilian identity and hero identity.

Other heroes had never really peaked her interest before, and it never occurred to her how maybe that was a good thing. Curiosity wasn't a good thing for her, not when the miraculous had to stay a secret. The only one who could guide her somewhat was Stephen, he knew the secrets and how to keep them. He was her mentor, and Marinette could honestly say she looked up to him.

Her phone ringing brought her out of her thoughts and back to reality. She looked down at the fabric she had in hand under the sewing needle, blinked and lifted her foot off the presser foot to bring the machine to a halt. 

"It's Luka!" Tikki tells her excitedly, knowing how good the boy was at soothing Marinette's anxiety and worries. She liked him for that.

Marinette laughs, grabbing her phone and sliding the answer button. Her smile never left her face as Luka's face popped up into the screen, giving her a smile in greeting. Out of everyone she had left to call a friend, Luka was different to her. He was special. No matter what he was patient with her, knew what to say and when to say it and sometimes she wondered if he knew her secret because he didn't ever say anything to question her odd behavior. If anything, he always made sure she was safe and okay. 

"Hi Luka." Marinette says, setting her phone down against her sewing machine and grabbing a button to get ready to sew on the blazer top.

"Hi Ma-Ma-Marinette." Luka chuckles, giving her a grin. "How are you doing? Anything new over there in New York?"

Marinette couldn't help the excited head nod she gave him, "I'm doing good here, a lot better! A lot of new things actually for me. Audrey gave me a chance to take on my first real commission in her company. My first client is Lucas Valentino, and if I do good I can secure a spot in the company."

Luka was happy for her hearing her say that, knowing it was a dream come true for her- an aspiring designer. He had always know she would be able to make it into the industry, her talent was just too good to keep inside her room or share with just friends and family. She just needed someone to believe in her, a little push past her comfort zone and here she was like a flower blossoming in the spring. Beautiful, radiant and colorful. 

"Lucas Valentino, as in the child star and model?" Luka asks, listening to her go off in one of her rambles that she hadn't done in a while. "I'm happy for you Marinette, everything seems to be falling into place. I already know you'll secure that spot for Style Queen."

There's a spark in her that wasn't there before, at least not for a while. It was a spark that slowly dimmed here in Paris, like the spark of an ember fading and being snuffed out from the fire. This was Marinette, who she really was in her prime despite the heartache he knew she carried still from the drama with Lila. Yet here she was finding herself again an ocean away. 

"Yes it is! Peter says he's a pretty boy." She rolls her blue eyes at the memory of Peter laughing and saying how bad some of his movies were. "I'm currently making him a suit that needs to be done in four weeks. I'm a little over half way done."

Peter. It was the first time Marinette mentioned the name to him, even though Kagami had already told him about the name and how the boy invited her to meet his friends. Given how she absentmindedly mentioned him and continued the conversation, he was a new normal in her life.