Chapter | Nineteen

Nadia Ivanov wasn't much from the small town she came from, always deemed someone intellectually gifted but not really making strides in life. That was until she met Lucas Valentino at a convention when he was Italy and he gave her the one opportunity she needed in order to make a mark on the world. For years she studied the technology used for the Winter Solider in HYDRA and took notes on the complex idea of the Red Room.

It took years to develop the idea of project Dollhouse, and even longer to develop the technology that would carry out the ideology of her vision. It was her scientific breakthrough, and it had been tested on multiple variations of animals and humans. There were multiple failed experiments, but she finally had her break through two years ago and had been having trials after trials to see how much further she could push her experiments. The results were promising from what she could see in her scientific variables. 

All her years of hard word brought her to this very moment where she stood in front of Lucas and was showing him around the underground building that held her facilities. Nadia was proud of her work and how far she had come, almost flaunting the work she had done. 

Lucas on the other hand was looking around the new laboratory he paid for, feeling himself be slightly impressed as he took it in for the first time. "You've out done yourself this time, Nadia. Are you going to tell me what exactly it is you have developed?"

"Project Dollhouse is a complex theory that I developed inspired by HYDRA's Winter Solider and The Red Room's widows. Both had amazingly advanced technology before the Avengers intervened."  Nadia ran her fingers over a advanced chair that had a green glow to it. "The issue that they faced was that they suppressed the memories behind chemicals and electric shock, but what if you could theoretically take a person's personality away?"

"And how would one do that?" Lucas raised an eyebrow in question.

"This chair right here is very special." Nadia says, "Once a person sits in here we can make their minds in a state of Tabula rasa."

"A blank slate?" 

"Precisely." Nadia nods, "Once a person's mind is in a blank slate, we can put together the perfect personality, make the perfect person."

"How is that possible? What makes this project different than the ones before it?" 

"After many trial and errors, I found that implanting a chip on the subject helps keep the subject submissive and in line. The chair itself will do the initial wipe for the person, but the chip and chair talk to each other. The chip will take the initial personality, memories, and store them. If the subject shows signs of remembering their original self, the chip as a remote control. Once press of a button will electrically shock the subject as if they were in the chair, acting as if it were a rest button." Nadia explains, handing Lucas a remote designator. 

"Is this the control? It looks like a car remote." Lucas doubtfully eyed the keychain. 

Nadia gave him a look, "Small enough to keep on you without drawing attention. That one is the control for Marinette's chip once she's active. Which brings me to my next question, who exactly do you want her to be?"

Lucas stared hard at the remote, "Is it possible to mix personas?"

"Theoretically, yes. Has it been tried? No." Nadia sighed softly, "That idea runs the risk of identity confusion, which can cause a potential glitch and trigger a regain of self consciousness."

"But it could be possible?" Lucas gave Nadia his full attention, "I want it done."

"Mr. Valentino-"

"Now Nadia." Lucas coldly says, "I'm the one paying you and funding this experiment, and I have told you what I've wanted done." 

Nadia gave a tight lip smile, "Of course Mr. Valentino. Who do you want her to be?"