entropy

(she read once about entropy in an old, tattered book.

it's known by many names, many definitions:

heat death, nature's natural inclination towards disorder, inevitable chaos.

the problem with these is it makes entropy seem much more interesting than it is.

the most succinct definition would be the tendency of energy to spread out. that alone wasn't dread-inducing, until its implications are considered. all energy spreads out, the concentration becoming lower and lower.

simply put, entropy is death in silence.)

Eri never spoke. At least, not when others were around. The silence was deafening, curling and crawling under (Y/n)'s skin like a parasite, driving her hands into anxious motion and her mind into anxious circles. When Eri did speak, it was quiet, trembling like fragile glass.

It was slow for Eri to trust (Y/n). But (Y/n) noticed; the way the girl clutched her already wrinkled sleeve, the way she hid behind her when there was a sudden noise.

(Y/n) noticed, with sinking dread, that Eri was almost exactly like her.

(Y/n) smiled at Eri when the door closed behind her. "I have some games on my phone." She hefted her phone triumphantly. Eri tilted her head at the screen in her hands. "The Switch version is better, but Animal Crossing is still very calming."

"What do- what do you do?" Eri idly dragged her finger around the screen, the little avatar chasing after. (Y/n) shrugged.

"Mostly you just decorate and help out the other campers. It's a little mindless."

Eri glanced up at (Y/n). "Do you want to try out another game? I have a couple."

"No." Eri looked at the screen again. "I think I like this game."

"So do I."

AN: ayup