balance

Hosu was only illuminated by the fire skyline alight, the light reflected in the iridescent puddles left by a storm a few days past. The smell was putrid, ash and rain water and gasoline swirling together into a migraine-inducing frenzy that made (Y/n)'s head spin. 

This was perhaps the fastest she'd ever run before, her heels pounding the pavement and her mind ran itself in panicked circles.

The air shifted, the wind changing directions and she could smell metal. The sweet smell of death curled in lazy meandering circles, lacing its way towards an alleyway. Eventually, it'd reach that alleyway. (Y/n) stopped, and hesitated, balancing a scale of choices. Should she search for her father? Forget the enticing and sickening scent of death that clung to the soaked pavement?

What would a hero do? 

(her entire life has been a balancing act. she balanced her redemption and self-destruction, never quite committing herself to death or life. she balanced on the edge of her bathtub, staring at a pack of cigarettes and pondering the effects of nicotine, never quite committing herself to addiction or sobriety.

but this wasn't something she could afford to be non-committal about. the scales teetered in her grip and the alleyway weighed heaviest.)

Her feet changed direction as she raced towards the alleyway.