flowers

(in dreams she was in a vibrant green field, cicadas humming gently under the blue sky. she made her way slowly through the thigh-high flowers, tracing her hands gently along the top.
it was quiet during those kinds of dreams. it was one of the few dreams she would wake up from having slept the whole night.
these dreams were few and far between.)

(Y/n) rolled the stem of the wildflower between two fingers anxious, the fragile plant dying between her fingers.

She had received a note from a teacher earlier in the day; a slip of paper that only explained that she needed to meet some of the staff after school in the office. Now, she was counting down the minutes, the seconds, until she had to go in. Her stomach wouldn't stop churning, whether from the anxiety building from the vague note, or from the residual nausea of feeling what it was like to stop existing and be yanked apart. 

She has two minutes and twelve seconds to go.

She had been put together a little wrong, just enough to leave a scar, a permanent reminder that failure was not acceptable.

She has one minute and thirty seconds to go.

When she had been put back together, it was more painful than being pulled apart. She had collapsed on the floor, sobbing. The floor smelled like artificial sweets, like green apple.

She has fourty-five seconds to go.

She stood up from her place in U.A's lawn, dusting grass blades from her skirt and backpack. The office wasn't far. She knocked on the door and stared up where the frame met the ceiling, feeling tiny.

She has twenty-three seconds to go.

The door opened. "Ms. (L/n)!" A cheery voice chimed from close to the floor. "You are late. Don't worry about it though."

She has "fifteen seconds." (Y/n) cleared her throat from when she had accidentally spoken too softly. "I had fifteen seconds before I was late. Now I-" she glanced at her phone. "Now its 15:35."

"How punctual!" Principal Nezu exclaimed. "Come, come, there is much to discuss." He beckoned her in, shutting the door behind her.