decay

(you never start dying until you are in you're in your 20-somethings, when your cells die faster than you can regenerate. slowly, your body decays. she is only around 16, but she can swear that she's already dying in the office now, when the hero asks her for help.)

Nighteye's gaze is sharp, even when asking for help. "This investigation is of the utmost importance. This gang could potentially have international consequences, but we don't know. We need someone on the inside." The question was unspoken. Will you be the someone on the inside?
Before she could think, her lips were already moving. "I'll do it." (Y/n) surprised herself.

(she's never been able to decline someone in need. it's the one part of her that is, unshakably and unequivocally, heroic.)

The door opens. "Hi, Sir!" The bright voice belongs to a blonde haired boy that (Y/n) has seen once or twice at school. He stops short when he sees her. "Oh! I remember you! From the festival! You did a good job for being sick!"
He paused and the smile faded a little from his face. "But what are you doing here?"
(Y/n) responded before Nighteye even opened his mouth. "I work at my father's investigatory agency and he asked for me to bring the latest report for Sir Nighteye on a case they're collaborating on," she replied coolly, moving to stand up. She pushed the file back across the desk. "My father said to route all communications through me since he's busy with other cases."
Nighteye nodded. "You may leave."
The blonde spoke again. "A first-year in charge of a case? That's pretty cool!" He gave a big smile and a thumbs up.

He wasn't convinced. He was a bit too tense, straining his senses to pick up any additional clues.

"You think I'm lying." This seemed to startle him.
"What? No!"
"Well, you think something is suspicious."
"I-" He scratched the back of his neck and stepped further into the room shutting the door. (Y/n) sank back into her seat.
Nighteye cast a quick glance to her before meeting the blonde's gaze.
"Mirio." The blonde- Mirio- tilted his head a fraction.

(mirio would never admit it, but something about this scenario was scaring him. it wasn't sensible to be scared of this, everything seemed to be normal. but his gut squirmed when he met the girl's gaze. something was wrong. he wanted to know what.
he had planned to be more subtle, maybe tagging after the girl when she was leaving, chattering about school and nothing in particular, but she smashed that plan to pieces.)

"I will tell you what is happening if you need to know. As of now, you don't need to know."
(Y/n) rose from her chair, brushing by Mirio as she opened the door. His smile was almost gone; he glanced at her with confused eyes as she left.