Chapter 11

She had followed the guard outside, noting to herself to remember to ask what his name was so she could come back and kick his ass later. Laugh at her will he? Well he’d think again when she kicked his balls into space.

She climbed into the army jeep that looked like it came straight out of a movie. She frowned climbing in thou. Why was she just thinking about kicking some poor guy’s balls into space?  She hadn’t felt this aggressive and angry in a while. She learned to control these feelings and urges a long time ago. What was it now that had her fighting to rein them in?

She sat next to Jared silently looking out the side of the jeep. It was warm still. There was a slight chill to the air but it wasn’t too bad.

He wondered what was going on in her mind. He felt some conflict going on inside her. Smelled her fear, anger, confusion. He was watching her out of the corner of his eye. She was frowning. She was a stubborn little thing.

Driving around the military barracks where soldiers bunked was second hand. He knew this base well. It had been his home for the last twenty years.  Well if you could call it home. He supposed because he had spent more time here than anywhere else.

“Where are we going?” She asked through gritted teeth. She was becoming increasingly agitated and she didn’t know why. Everything was pissing her off. Driving in this jeep, this base, the man beside her, the damn baggy clothes making her look like some little kid.  And why was she in some military base? Was that customary for someone being hunted by supposed terrorists?

Calm down, she told herself mentally. Calm, peace, breathe in and out slowly. Control, keep your control, it will pass just like every other time.

She was starting to sweat, he didn’t think it would happen so fast. He had to get her to the lab before the shift happened. He wasn’t sure what would happen to an adult that had no idea what she was. Shifters were taught at an early age what they were and what abilities they possessed.  They were taught how to control and how to use their abilities.

He pulled up to a big brick building. She looked up, it was a massive sight.  There were no signs to indicate what it was.  He was at her door waiting for her to step out. Suddenly she was frightened. What was going on? What were they going to do to her? She didn’t want to get out of the jeep.

He knew she was fighting. Once this little bout of fear was gone she would feel the fury again. He had to admire her for the control she had.

“Are you ready?” he asked softly. He knew she was just barely keeping control.

“What is this? Why are we here? What is going on I am not moving until you tell me now,” she said angrily.

“Look I am trying to tell you what is going on, but in order for me to do that we have to do it in a secure and controlled environment,” he was trying to stay calm, getting angry now isn’t going to do either of them any good. He understood her hesitancy. But they just could not wait any longer. “Please you can feel I am telling the truth. Please, trust me.”

She knew he was, she didn’t know how but she knew. Maybe she was losing her mind. A few days ago she was listening to her favorite music and doing laundry. Today she was dressed in oversized army clothing, sitting in a camouflaged jeep, outside of a massive plain looking brick building. She suddenly found it all comical. She started giggling.

Jared looked at her wondering if she had cracked. She was giggling. Sitting there in those oversized army clothes giggling.

“Whatever, how much more bizarre can this day get.” She climbed out of the jeep and followed Jared.  He stopped at the doors. They looked normal. Just a couple of glass doors with some kind of silver looking cover over them. Like mirrors they were, she thought as she looked into them. She chuckled as she looked at her self. God what a mess she was.