Chapter 19

God when was this going to end. Jared had said this stupid phase lasted maybe two months. Three at the most. She wanted to see her kids. She wanted to hold them and hear them laugh. She was pacing the stupid room she was confined to.  It had only been two weeks but it felt like years to her.

This is maddening. Even with her daily lessons and the sparing Jared was doing with her now she was bored. So bored.  She also hoped when she got to change back they had a blanket or something here for her. She got to see Jared in his birthday suit daily and she sure as hell didn’t want anyone gawking at her. Not that the man wasn’t worth gawking at. He was built beautifully. 

Shaking her head. She shouldn’t be thinking about some man while she was a stupid dog. Unbelievable. Thou lately he had started apologizing for his lack of appearance, she began to worry.  Not that she wasn’t bored but something was grating on her nerves. It was in her brain. She had no way to tell anyone how she felt. Something was nagging at her.  Even the poor old scientist who tried his best to figure out what was wrong, was at a loss.

She smiled at the thought of the old man.  He was the only other person she had allowed to touch her. Everyone else just annoyed her. Poor man. He had to put up with her regular grumpiness. But it was fun terrorizing him. And she was starting to think he was enjoying it.  The faces he made at some of the tests he had to perform.  Some of the more, well delicate ones. Female tests. If she could blush, she’d be doing it right now.  They only had a handful of chances to test the female shifters.  From what she understood either there wasn’t very many or they just didn’t know about them.  She had met several male shifters so far. They had all been very curious to see her.  As they had been to see each other.  They weren’t allowed in thou. No one but Jared and Dr.Carnope were.  Something about germs or contamination or whatever. Stupid hospital rules. Stupid men.

He ear was itching a lot lately. She sat and extended her back leg to itch just behind her left ear. Damn it itched horrible this time. She walked over to where Dr. Carnope was looking at one of his computers and barked sharply. It startled him and he dropped his pencil. Ha! That was funny. She liked doing that.

He gave her a stern look and bent over to go back to do whatever he was doing. She barked again. Short and sharply. He glanced up and she sat down to itch again. God this was getting annoying. It was almost unbearable today. She looked at him and tipped her head trying to look as cute and non-threatening as she could.

PLEASE! Her look said. He hit the button on the intercom.

“Sorry girly, not allowed to come in without Jared,” he stood up and gave a salute. She grinned back. But the itching continued. She just sat and itched until she saw a fleck of blood hit the glass in front of Carnope.

She yipped this time loudly enough to startle him again. He looked up to yell at her and saw the blood on the barrier.

“Oh lord you’re bleeding what did you do?”

He saw her shake her head and more blood flew off and splattered onto the barrier. The back of her left ear was bleeding and it was bleeding pretty well he noticed.

“Oh for heaven’s sake stop itching! Let me call Jared down,” he mumbled as she yipped again. He got on the line and told Jared to get his ass down here.

“Well it will be a few minutes. What did you do scratch yourself silly? Goofy girl stop itching for a few minutes,” he shook his head. But he noticed she continued shaking her head and looking at him with those pleading eyes.

“Sorry orders are orders,” he grumbled. He knew she wouldn’t hurt him. He’d taken an instant liking to her. She drove him nuts with her insane barking sometimes but he knew she was bored and tormenting them made it interesting. She rarely did it to him. Usually one of the other doctors. He smiled. She did so love picking on Stevens. That poor man.