Chapter 20

Lydia had shifted back to human form and passed out in the process.   The damage to her ear and neck wasn't nearly as bad as they first thought. She would heal nicely.  The scientists had been so busy scouring the room for other parasites they hadn't even seen the shift or Lydia lying naked on the floor. Carnope had an operating sheet he carried in with him so she was covered up until the examinations were finished.

They still weren't any closer to finding a clue as to how to get those damn collar's off without the keys that went to them.  The female shifter was increasingly agitated and wanted out. He could tell. He had shifted a few times in an attempt to show her trust. But she had just growled at him and kept pacing. All he got was frustration, agitation and anger from her.  He attempted to go in daily to talk to her to try to get her to trust him. But something was blocking her.  She just wouldn't calm down long enough for him to try to figure out how to get the collar off.

Petro had been extremely helpful. Not only were they allowed to do examinations on him. But he answered as many questions as they shot off at him. They also could see the collar up close. His they could remove and just reattach his head. But he had refused. He would not allow them to remove it and destroy the only one they could examine. He said it wasn't fair to the shifter that has saved him.

If hers couldn't come off. Then his didn't. Which was just as well. They at least had one they could still work with.  Jared was still hesitant to let him see the other female shifter.  He wasn't sure what would happen.

He didn't know if letting them see each other and be in such close proximity would set the collars off. He didn't know if the vampire was sent there for some other purpose.  He wanted to believe that this could work out. He was so sick of the unanswered questions.  He did have one idea. He would use it as a last resort thou..

He was informing Washington of the new threat. They had known about vampires for a while. Just as they had known about Shifters as well.  Vampires were normally considered the bad guys.  But this one they had here. He was pleasant, cooperative. He wanted badly to trust this one. The answers he was getting all made sense. A terrible sense, but at least he had something to work off of now.

He spotted Lydia outside laughing while she played with her kids. It was amazing how happy she was knowing what she knew. Sam was bouncing around trying to lick any face he got close to. He had nailed Lydia a few times and she laughed and pushed at him till he bounced after one of the other girls.  That dog was definitely not leaving them ever. He had slept with the girls, walked with them, kept an eye out for them. 

He paid particular attention to the oldest thou.  Not much more, but just enough that had Jared watching her closely.  She did seem different. Like her mother sort of. Like she was trying to keep herself contained. Either it was because she had lived with someone whom she had seen like that her whole life. Or...well he'd have to keep his eyes open. He didn't smell anything different in the kids. But Lydia hadn't developed her abilities till she was an adult. Who knows now.

Dr. Carnope had no idea where the little parasite he carved out of Lydia had come from.  They placed it next to various animals and it made no attempt to go near them. He even attempted to see if it would go to him but it wouldn't. And it always pointed itself in the direction of Lydia.  Eventually Carnope and the other scientists did what they do best and attempted to find out what made it tick. But it had just reformed itself like they hadn't even sliced it open. It was unnerving.

The male shifter they had caught in the fight a few weeks prior was dead. They had to kill him unfortunately. The sedatives that they were using weren't taking effect anymore. They kept having to use more and more until they finally just didn't work. All he did was slam himself into the bars and bloodied up everything. They finally put the poor beast out of its misery. Yet another body for science to explore.