Chapter 12

Yes. Yes that was it. His fault.

“You,” she snarled, “ this is your fault. Everything has been happening after you came over. You bastard!!” She lunged at him and he easily stepped aside. She fell to her hands and knees but stood right back up faster than he had anticipated. She turned without hesitating and jumped at him, this time shoving him back against the bars. He grabbed both her wrists and held her easily.  He swiftly turned and pinned her against the bars while he held her hands above her head.

“If you would calm down and listen this would go so much easier for you. Can you control yourself for a few minutes at least?” He was trying to reason with her. This wasn’t going the way he had hoped at all.

She struggled against him, thrashing as hard as she could.  She didn’t like this, not at all. No one ever touched her anymore. She preferred it that way. Made things easier.

“Stop moving around god damn it all,” he ground out. She was making this very difficult and his god damn body was reacting in ways it really shouldn’t.

She surprised him by going completely limp. He hadn’t expected that. He let one of her wrists go to check to see if she was ok and before he could stop her she had twisted just enough to land a brutal blow to his nether region.  It connected with enough force that he went down gasping for air.  She literally danced away from laughing.

“Think I’m stupid? I’m not some weak, helpless little girl. Don’t you ever, ever touch me again, do you understand,” the comment came out as a command not as a question.

She was grinning down at him with such fury in her eyes. If he didn’t think he was going to vomit he would have strangled her. God no one had gotten the better of him like that in so long.  He had to be careful ,she was dangerous. And she hadn’t even shifted yet which he found very interesting.

After a few agonizing seconds he stood up, slowly taking in air.

“Lydia, I am a Shifter as are you,” he took a second to breathe,” I don’t know how you are controlling yourself so well. Most would have been in agonizing pain by now.  Most Shifters are taught from the early ages of childhood to control and master their abilities. Some I have found made it as long as early teens before finding out. But, by then, the shifting is so excruciating for them because they were not used to it.”

He was breathing a little better now. He straightened up to his full height again. He was much taller than she was. At six foot five he towered over most people. He wasn’t used to any females getting the jump on him like she did. He was going to have to be very careful.

“I have no idea what the hell you are talking about,” she sneered, “you are making no sense.”

God she was pissed. She should have lost control by now. Should have been in the middle of the shifting phase that would have been tormenting her. But there she was still holding back.  He could smell her, her body was so past being primed for it.

“Oh the hell with it, I really hope you are ready for this,” he groaned out. He really didn’t want to do it this way but he had no choice she wasn’t listening and he didn’t want to fight all day.

He backed away from her a great deal, as he did he stripped his shirt and pants off. He had the satisfaction of watching her eyes widen for a split second before she had them narrowed again watching him with a scrutiny that should have had him squirming.

“Here we go,” he murmured.

His shifting was usually a blur. It was so easy and effortless for him. Like breathing, or living. It just was.  He went a little slower. Letting her watch and soak in all of it.  Usually it starts with the legs.  Nature had a way of making sure Shifters were as protected as could be during the shifting.  It started at the feet, traveled up the legs, hips, abdomen, chest, arms, and then head.  It came in handy when one was running. Once mastered any Shifter could go from running as a human to running as a wolf within the blink of an eye.