Chapter 4

Lydia was annoyed, her roses weren’t getting buds, her stupid ex was being a jerk again and not telling her when he was getting the kids.  She couldn’t make plans to do anything. Not that she ever did anything. She liked her solitude, she liked having her kids around, and she liked her flowers. Even if they were being stubborn. She had looked them over earlier, believing that there was some kind of infestation making them not bud. But nothing was there.  Frustrated, she was determined to enjoy the sun at least.

She was cold today, again. It was a beautiful day thou. Most people were in shorts and t-shirts.  She was in a pair of jeans and a long sleeve cotton shirt. It was light but it kept her warm.  Her feet were bare and she liked them that way, she didn’t care if they were numb from being so cold. The sun on them felt good. She was trying to relax with her head resting on the back of the chair when she heard someone clearing their throat.

“Ahem, excuse me miss,” Jared said softly trying not to startle her.

She raised her head up, resenting the intrusion. Lydia opened her eyes and saw a very tall and muscular man looming over her.

“I’m sorry, is there something I can do for you?” She was hoping her voice didn’t sound like she felt. It was broad daylight but hardly anyone is ever out on her street. That was why she liked it here it was quiet.

“Yes well I just thought I would come over and introduce myself, I’m your neighbor Jared Montgomery,” he said as he smiled. He noticed she looked a little annoyed. He wondered why and mentally chuckled at the reaction.

“Oh I’m sorry, you live on this street? I never noticed you before do you live close?” She tried to keep the conversation light. In truth she really didn’t remember seeing him before and now she felt warnings go off in her head.

“Yes I live just over in the white house,” he turned and pointed, “there with the black truck in the driveway.”  He turned just in time to see her squint and then straighten back up.

“Ah, I never noticed you there before, “she felt a little less stiff but still not at ease.

“I was in the military until two weeks ago, so I was rarely home,” she’s fishing for answers, he thought. Being cautious, she’s bothered by me being here. Jared suddenly felt like an intruder.

“Oh, well that would explain why I didn’t recognize you then,” she smiled and felt a little better now. Well then he was her neighbor and not some psychotic monster. “I’m sorry would you like some tea or water Mr. Montgomery? You sort of caught me off guard I’m sorry for being so rude,” she was kind of hoping he would say no, she wanted to be alone.

“Oh a water would be fine and it’s perfectly normal to be cautious around someone you don’t know,” he smiled, this was turning out to be very interesting. She actually seemed to be annoyed by him. It was refreshing to not have a woman trying to jump him.

She reached down and grabbed her cup of tea and stood up. She was a tall woman. About 6 foot he was thinking. Curly brown that flowed down her back. She was thin but not weak looking. Strong build. She looked a bit wild, he thought, and found her rather appealing. She mumbled something about being right back but he wasn’t paying attention and followed her right into her house.  She turned and gasped.

“Mr. Montgomery do you make it a habit of just walking into someone’s house?” Lydia had her hands on her hips. How dare he? She didn’t invite him in? Or did she?  She had a horrible memory lately, among other things.

“Hmmm what? Oh I’m sorry you offered me something to drink I was just coming to get it,” he tried not to smile at her stance. She looked like she was getting mad, at him.

“Well,” she stated as she turned around and walked through what looked like her living room, ”next time it would be polite to wait until someone has invited you in, before you go walking through someone’s house!”

The nerve of that man! Or was she being rude? She wasn’t use to having people in her house. Her family rarely bothered her. No one really came by or visited her. Other than her mother, no one really ever talked to her.  And that was just fine by her!!

She walked into her kitchen and opened the fridge unaware that Jared had followed her in. She bent over and dug into the bottom for the water that was in the back behind the milk.

“This is a nice little house, I never realized it before,” Jared said as he walked up behind her. Lydia gasped and stood up bumping her head on the refrigerator.

“Ow god damn it all,” she thought she was going to pass out as she was seeing stars from smacking her head so hard. She had meant to spin around and yell at her neighbor but hadn’t realized he was standing right behind her. Lydia bumped right into the front of a rock solid male body. He caught her arms before she was tempted to fall over. Partly from bumping her head and partly from the dizziness she felt sweeping over her at having to look up at him.

He was tall, she thought, at least six foot four. And the muscles were as hard as rock. Suddenly she thought, he really shouldn’t be in her house.

“I’m sorry you startled me and I am quite clumsy on my own to begin with,” she held the water up, “here you go Mr. Montgomery.”

“Please call me Jared,” he said as he took the water but she had some odd look in her eyes, “are you ok? You look a little pale.”

She did feel like she was going to fall over.  Maybe she hit her head harder than she thought.

“I’m sorry, I haven’t been very polite. Actually I’ve been very rude. I’m not used to having anyone over and you sort of startled me,” she said softly,” I apologize, let’s go back out and sit on the porch. It’s a beautiful day out.”

Jared felt a warm feeling starting in his chest and tried to ignore it. What the hell was wrong with him? Following her around like some stalker, intruding on her privacy.

“Yeah sure, I’m sorry I made you bump your head,” he said apologetically.

“Oh it’s alright I probably would have managed to smack it at some point today anyway,” she laughed, “Like I said I’m a bit clumsy.”

He liked her laugh, and by god he liked following her, watching her cute backside sway. He followed her through her house and out to the porch. And much to his dismay, she sat back down and put her feet up. But this time he noticed they were purple. He reached out and grabbed one of her feet.

Lydia gasped and almost choked on her tea she had just taken a drink from.

“Why are your feet purple? God they are freezing it’s like 85 out why are they so cold?” he demanded.

“Mr.Mont ….” she stopped when he gave her a troubled look.  ”Jared, can you please let go of my foot. They get cold sometimes as do my fingers, I don’t know why. I just deal with it,” Lydia shrugged.  Why did she just tell him that?

His hands were very warm, it was seeping into her skin where he held her foot. Oh, it felt so good.  Other than having an electric blanket, she hadn’t found anything that could get or keep her feet warm. Well other than sticking them under her kids. She felt her eye lids drooping very slightly. Afraid she was going to nod off just from feeling the heat on her one foot she was about to ask him to let her foot go again when he grabbed the other and started to rub.

His hands were calloused and rough, and good god so warm she thought, almost hot. But her feet were cold so of course they felt hot. Her head bobbed back a little. Jesus she was going to fall asleep with a strange man holding her feet on her porch.

“Please Mr. Mont …. Jared please can you let go of my feet,” she barked, “I think you’re putting me to sleep.”

 He didn’t look like he was going to, she was almost feeling like she didn’t want him to either. The heat alone felt so good. She was about to ask him again, when he suddenly stopped and let her go.  Left a little off balance she looked up at him.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have grabbed you like that,” he said angrily and then turned around and walked away.

Lydia watched him leave. What an odd man, she thought, maybe my feet smelled and she giggled a bit. Serves him right if they did. She stood up and walked inside feeling like taking a nap.