Chapter 14

He turned and ran towards the lab. Breach meant either something had gotten out or that something had gotten in. It was impossible. They took every precaution.  The doors opened and he ran into the massive building where Lydia was being held. The emergency lights were going off as were the alarms. His only thought was to get to Lydia.

He snarled, if anyone thought they were going to hurt her he was going to rip them apart. Running into the elevators he swiped his card and punched in the numbers.

Come on, come on. God damn elevator was taking too long!!  The doors finally opened and what he stepped into was total chaos.

The scientists and doctors were running around like madmen. The snipers were all targeted on the Control Room where Lydia was. He looked and saw what the emergency was. She was up. And she was pissed. She was throwing herself at the doors trying to break through. It looked like she had broken four of the bars that covered the doors right out of the floor. She was now working on the glass barrier they all thought was unbreakable.

Apparently it wasn’t because she had started to crack it. He could see the lines zig zagging through the invisible barrier. He was shocked. Not even when he tested it was he able to even put a mark in it. It also stood against vampires and the abomination they had locked away.

“Jared what are we going to do, in a matter of minutes she had those bars ripped out. She’ll be out soon.” Carnope was frantic. He had never had this problem before.

Jared wasn’t sure. “What the hell happened? How did she get like this?”

“She was sleeping. Then she was trying to get up, like yesterday. She made it to her feet and then she was just going nuts,” he was talking fast. “She started ramming the door. She knocked one of the bars loose then just grabbed it and ripped it right out of the floor. As she did with the other three.”

“We have to get her sedated,” he was scared to death. If they couldn’t get her under control he knew what would happen.  Shifters that went into a frenzy never stopped. They were out of control and never returned. They had to be killed. And he was sure as hell not going to let that happen. He knew she had the control. He saw it yesterday. He also knew the one thing that might get through to her.  At least enough to keep her calmed down.

He went to doors and turned to Carnope.

“Turn the intercom on,” he yelled to the others, “AND BE QUIET!”

He turned back to Lydia, still throwing herself at the doors. The barrier was almost fully cracked now and then just the bars on the outside. It wouldn’t take her long.

“It’s on Jared”

“Lydia,” he shouted, “Lydia it’s Jared. You have to listen to me.” She was still throwing herself against the barrier.

“LYDIA, if you get out they’ll kill you. They’ll kill you before you even step outside of the room. Your kids are here.” He was almost screaming now.

She rammed the barrier one last time and then stopped. She was panting heavily now.  And shaking, she was using up her energy way too fast. She would drop soon. Hopefully before she broke the barrier.

She didn’t know what was wrong. She couldn’t control herself. Out, she had to get out. She couldn’t stand it in here anymore. She felt trapped.  She felt like she was in a prison. Her mind was frantic. Thoughts were racing around in it and she couldn’t stop them. 

She had woken up thinking, yet again, she was having a nightmare. She had lifted her head and saw that it was not. She was a god damn animal still. A freak. What had they done to her? They had lied. He said she would be ok, he lied. The pain and betrayal ripped through her. Searing her soul, making her burn.  She got her self to her feet and the rage surged through her. It’s all their fault! She took a step forward and ran at the doors. Out she had to get out. She couldn’t take it anymore. The fear and rage pushed her beyond what her mind could comprehend. Out.

But then she heard Jared, she thought she heard him say her kids were here. Her kids? She had stopped and looked at him. That damned glass stuff. God she had to get out. Surely her mind had tricked her.  Surely he was lying just as he had before. He said she was going to be ok, didn’t he? But was she ok? Hell no, she was a god damn freak now. And she would make him pay.

Jared saw her hesitate saw her fighting, saw the rage starting to slip back in.

“They are here Lydia, your kids. Ana, Morgan and Maddy. Outside, happy and healthy.  Do you want them to be motherless? Because if you don’t control yourself and calm down they will be.” He was trying to stay calm. God he wanted to shift so badly to control her.

Where did that come from?

“Lydia, control yourself, I have their smell on me. You know I tell the truth. You know I would never lie,” he stepped forward even as he heard the hiss of Carnope. “You cracked the barrier, you can smell the scent. They are safe. They are happy and playing. Do you want to make them hurt? Are you that selfish?”

She knew, she did smell them. It had to be a trick. But no, there they were. Maddy’s was the strongest, her sweet little girl. She was so loving. Morgan’s was there too, that wild little girl. She was going to be the death of me, she thought.  She smelled Ana’s too. Not very strong. But she smelled it all the same.  Maybe he was telling the truth. Could she afford to be wrong?  A few more shoves and that damn barrier would fall. Then the bars.

She tried to reign in her rage. God but it wanted out. Badly. It was hard. She lowered her head for a moment. She had to get control.  She heard herself growling. What was wrong with her? What was she?  Were her children ok? She lifted her head again. She just barely had control of herself. The rage and fury she felt inside was so strong. It was there pushing to get out.

She looked around, trying to assess her surroundings. He was right, there were men hidden in the shadows with guns. Aimed at her. Ready to kill her if needed. She stepped back and they followed. God how stupid she almost was. They would kill her. Kill her and then her kids would have no one but their father.  No! She couldn’t let that happen. They were here he said. Here, near her.

She lowered her head again and growled. At herself mostly. Control yourself for heaven’s sake! Calm yourself down. You can do this. You’ve done it before. She shook her head from side to side. Trying to shake the feelings away.

He watched her. Watched her fight for control again. She was growling but it sounded different.  She had her head lowered down. Shaking it.

Fight it and control the emotions.

“Lydia you can do this. I know you can. I know how strong you are. You can do this. Once you’ve mastered this you can see your kids. They are safe. I promise,” he was sure she was in control. It was stretched thou he knew.

She heard him faintly, she was still fighting in her head. Fighting for control. She felt the anger fade a bit. It was always there but it wasn’t so bad now.  She fought to control it. It was her body. Even if she was a freak. She could control herself still. Just like she always had.

She turned and stumbled away from the door. If she moved away that urge to be free would fade some. It had to. She wanted out so badly. She stumbled further away from the door. So tired now. She felt the weakness in her legs, spreading throughout her body. God this was shitty. That outburst had cost her dearly. She was losing all strength. She had drained herself. She heard scraping. Knew the doors were opening. For one small moment he brain yelled RUN!! But then she pushed it away and collapsed. So tired, but her kids were here. Could she see them? She wanted to hear them, small them, touch them. They had always been her saving grace.  They had always been her reason for why she was the way she was. They had saved her over and over. Her little wild angels. 

Jared walked over to her. He felt her strength draining. She was exhausted.  He knelt by her, saw her panting. He dug his hands into her fur.

“We’ll help you. But you have to trust me. You have to. You have no choice. It’s that or death. You can’t leave your kids here without you. You have to trust me and let me help you,” he was trying to soothe her. He heard her snort and smiled. Damned stubborn woman. But he had hope. She had just done something no other Shifter had ever been able to do. Ever. She had controlled herself once more.