Part 8

James couldn't get it out of his head.

The maybe 2 minute long conversation bore into his mind like a nail and it wouldn't leave.

The uncertainty in james scared him. He trusted severus, of course he did but he will not lie, Malfoys words had a huge impact on him.

Whether it was fear or anger, he couldn't tell the difference. All he knew was that he had been avoiding severus ever since that night, and he was holed up in his office drowning himself with work.

Severus was also worried. James hadn't been home lately.

It was always the excuse ' gotta go to the office' which severus had heard multiple times before.

It wasnt new to him, and it wasn't new that james was avoiding him like he did when he knew he did something wrong.

So you couldn't really blame him when his mind started to worry.

" sev youve been spaced out all day. Are you ok?" Lucius asked.

Severus looked at him with a blank look and nodded. Lucius was always around severus, maybe because they worked in the same department or maybe because he was worried, severus didn't know.

All he knew was that something was happening with his husband and lucius was his closest friend right now.

" yeah. Im fine its just james. Hes worrying me." Severus explained.

" oh? Whats happening?" Lucius asked, still focused on his task.

Severus sighed and hesitated. He didnt know if he should tell lucius but at the same time who else would he tell?

" hes just been home late thats all. Hes been spending a lot of time at his office and im just worried he's overworking himself."

" are you sure all he's doing is working?" Lucius added.

Severus looked at him with wide eyes.

" why do you say that?"

It was outrageous what he was insinuating.

" im just saying. He has a track record and old habits die hard."

Severus scoffed. James wouldnt do that. Would he? No no. James changed, hes changed!

Hes loving and he's considerate now. For gods sake he got him a cat and takes him out regularly, he hasn't gone back.

" no. Thats far fetched. James wouldn't do that. Not anymore."

" are you sure? Doesn't he have an assistant?"

" kendra?  No she wouldn't do that. Nor would james fall for it. I trust him."

" thats what you did last time and he cheated on you what, at least 20 times?"

Severus was growing increasingly anxious. His breathing was quickening and he couldn't help his brain from racing to conclusions.

" how would you know? Ive only just met you like 2 months ago. I doubt you know everything that has happened to my life." Severus snapped.

Why was lucius acting like this? It was like he was hell bent of ruining james and his relationship.

" look i know you. Ive known you since highschool-"

" no lucius. No you dont. You knew me in highschool and beginning of college then you knew me 2 months ago. You dont know what happened to me or how I've grown in the 15 year break you took from our friendship, so stay out of my marriage and focus on yours." Severus threw his lab coat off and grabbed his jacket and phone, swinging the door open and leaving.