TWELEVE

PROMISE, CLUMSY
flashback
nine years old

Fallon ran alongside Chris and a few of their other friends

Fallon ran alongside Chris and a few of their other friends. They all decided to have a running race to see who was the fastest.

For the past two times, Chris and Sage won, but Fallon wasn't going to stop until she won. She claimed that because she was small she didn't have an advantage unlike her friends.

"Ready. Steady. GO!" Shouted Kaleb causing the three to start running.

Fallon ran as fast as she could and ended up tripping over her shoe lace, which came undone. She fell to the floor and grazed her knees and hands.

Her eyes filled with tears and her bottom lip began to quiver. She just wanted to win a race.

Chris made his way over to his best friend and pulled her up from the ground. He smiled at the girl and whispered,

"Are you okay, Clumsy?" The boy questioned her friend, she shot him a glare at the nickname.

Fallon pulled her hands out of Chris' and crossed her arms angrily. She looked at him skeptically and said,

"That's not my name, Chrissy. Did you fall too?" She questioned as if he had forgotten her name completely.

"No. I didn't fall. But you parents named you Fallon." He chuckled. "Which had the word 'Fall' in as if they expected you to fall over all the time."

"No they didn't." Fallon stated adamantly.

Chris began to laugh at the girl and pinged at her before continuing,

"They really did. They called you Fallon because you're so Clumsy."

Fallon's bottom lip quivered as her shoulders slumped down and she lowered her head, almost ashamed of herself and her name.

"You're the worst best friend ever. I don't want to be your friend anymore." Fallon snapped as she walked away from Chris, Sage and Kaleb.

Chris watched the girl walk away from him in shock. He didn't mean to upset her. He was just teasing. He didn't expect her to be upset by what she said.

He ran after the girl, only to see her now sat with his younger brother, Scott. They were other sat on the bench laughing with one another. To say that the sight upset him was an understatement.

Fallon was his best friend. It was always Chris and Fallon. It wasn't Scott and Fallon, that just didn't make any sense.

Chris stepped forward to make himself known to his brother and Fallon. Both of them turned to look up at him but didn't say anything.

The brunette raised her brows before scoffing at Chris and turning her back to him.

"Fally." Chris whispered softly, reaching out and placing his hand on her shoulder. "Please don't be mad at me. You're my best friend."

"I am mad. And I'm telling Momma Evans that you're a meanie and that I won't marry you." Fallon huffed.

Chris took a step back in shock and upset. His blue eyes softened at the idea of his best friend been mad at him.

"Fallon." He took a seat next to her, in between the girl and Scott. He turned to face his brother. "Go away. I want to talk to Fallon alone."

Scott stuck his tongue out at Chris before leaving the pair alone. Chris placed his hand on Fallon's, causing her to look at him.

"I'm sorry I called you Clumsy, but I still love you for it." Chris smiled sweetly. "I still want to marry you, Fally."

"What if we have clumsy babies when we're older, Chrissy?" Fallon questioned, turning her body to face the young boy.

Chris chuckled at the girl, before offering her a toothy smile.

"Then we have clumsy babies. But at least we will be married." He raised his pinky before saying, "I promise to marry and love you no matter if you're clumsy."

Fallon wrapped her pinky around Chris and said,

"And I promise to marry and love you even if you are mean and smelly some times."

She pressed her lips against his pinky and then allowed him to do the same, sealing the promise with a kiss.

"I'm not smelly." Chris whispered to himself, causing Fallon to giggle at him.

"You're really really smelly." She teased and rested her head on his shoulder. "But I'll always love you."