Chapter 2, Hiding

Above is a picture of Alex Pettyfer starring as Jack Solstice.

I groaned as I woke up. Rolling over I check my watch. Yup, it's 3 am, I'm sore and I didn't get enough sleep. Oh well, I quickly got up and grabbed the small pile of cash from a niche in the wall. It was mostly 20's and I hoped I could get a job as a lifeguard. I'd never really saved someone from the water but I was physically strong and knew more than just basic first aid.

That's one of the things Lex made me learn. He needed someone who was a 'doctor' for when there was someone in the group injured. Not only had I learned the basics, but I had also learned how to do stitches for a large cut, I took bullets out of multiple places, and knew how to treat severe infections.

I never learned math, besides the basics, history, or any different languages. Unless sign language counted, Lex made me learn that to use it as an excuse whenever I was caught by the police.

I had only used it twice with the police but had used it many times when I didn't want to talk to someone in public.

Stuffing the money in my pocket, I got up and went to the mouth of the cave. I glanced to the left and right, making sure no one was around, then climbed down. Groaning, I quickly went down and walked across the rocks to the sand.

Thankfully no one was on the beach yet, probably because it was Christmas morning. Although the lifeguards would be here in two hours, I still had enough time to wash. If you can call rinsing off in the ocean washing. Making sure to store my clothes high enough so they wouldn't get wet, I ran into the ocean.

Like any other ocean, it was salty, but that didn't stop me from opening my eyes. I've had to jump in the ocean at random times to get away from the police, so bathing in one wasn't that bad.

Once I felt I had gotten any remainder of Lex off of me, I went up and got my clothes to rinse them off. I paused then remembered that I had stuffed a bunch of cash in the pocket of my shorts.

Laughing silently at myself I took it out then dunked the clothes in the ocean. It would be uncomfortable for the next 2 hours while it dried, but according to my standards, it was better than being reminded of that bastard Lex. Squeezing out the seawater as best as I could, I decided to hole the cash wadded up in my hand.

It wasn't the safest but it would sure beat soggy cash. By the time I was done with all of this it was already 4 am. It started to get windier which meant I wouldn't only be uncomfortable, I'd be cold. Leaving the beach behind I went to the nearest surfboard shop. I figured that I'd at least have to know how to surf to be able to become a lifeguard.

Not wanting to stay here any longer than possible I flagged down the storekeeper."How much would the cheapest one that would work for me be?" He looked at me like I was really weird, which is probably accurate. I doubt that's a question that people ask when they come looking for a surfboard.

"Probably that one over there, I think it's $150."

I inhale sharply, "$150?!?!"

He nods, "Yup. If you don't want to pay that much boogie boards would be cheaper. They'd be around $20."

Resigning myself to my fate, I agree. "Fine."

I walked over to the board to get a closer look at it. It was beautiful. On the top was a mixture of various shades of blue and green in triangles, while the bottom was fading blue with white swirls and details.

Bringing it over to the counter, I paid for it in cash. "Could you store it here for about 10 minutes while I go and quickly grab something?"

He looked at me confused but replied anyways, "Sure, I'll just stick it in the back"