Chapter 4, Rewind

Arya's way of speaking

Bold = Texting or Writing

Italics = Sign Language

*Jack's POV*

*Morning of December 25th*

Ugh, it was early but that's what you had to do when you were a lifeguard. It was my turn to be on the north side of the beach, so here I was.

There were the few local early surfers who wanted to catch the waves but there was also this new girl. I could tell she had never surfed before in her life which is why I was confused as to why she was here.

The waves were especially large today and she had gone down multiple times already. She looked to be a fairly good swimmer but that wouldn't help her if she kept on going under.

I quickly scanned the water again for other people that may be in trouble then went back to watching her. 

Two hours later she was still out there. She hadn't even come in once and got no more then halfway to shore.

I was a little surprised because she also seemed to know what to do when in a rip even though she couldn't surf. Now she was able to stand on the board for a couple seconds but she kept on getting battered down.

I know for sure she wouldn't have the strength to keep doing that for so long.

Figuring it was best to let the others in the tower know I radioed in. "North side Bondi Beach to Tower. This is Jack"

The crackle of the radio sounds as they respond, "Tower to North Side Bondi Beach. Hello mate, this is Luis." Ah, it must've been his turn to man the radio.

I respond, informing him of the situation."Hay mate, there's this girl who's been out on the water for two hours now and hasn't come in once. It seems to me that she's teaching herself how to surf, but with these waves it could be dangerous. Keep an eye out for her when you scan the water."

There's silence on the radio which I assume is him trying to locate the girl. "One minute, checking--- Is it the girl who keeps on falling off in the waves?"

I chuckle slightly at his description, "Yeah."

Through the radio I hear, "Ok, we'll keep an eye on her."

Thankfully there haven't been any urgent rescues yet today. I'm guessing it's because it's Christmas and normal humans wouldn't be out battling the waves.

Although more and more people are beginning to arrive as the day starts. By 9am the beach is quite full and still more people are coming.

I do a full scan of the water, as there are now many people out there, and see the girl who's been out there for the past 4 hours catch a wave and ride it all the way in.

It was good to see her finally coming in for a break but I still had a job to do. About two minutes later I see the same girl running back towards the ocean.

I'm now worried for her because she didn't rest and no matter how strong she is it isn't good for her to go out again.

She's moving extremely fast through the water and I go to the megaphone to warn her. I glace back to where she was and see her dive off of the board.

When the board starts coming back towards shore without her near it I grab my board and begin to run. I wasn't that close to her so it takes a full three minutes for me to reach the water.