Chapter 7, Decisions

*Cecilie and Amalie Moosgaard starring as Lilah (Li) and Jasmine (Jazzy) Solstice*

Lilah on the left and Jasmine on the right.

Bold =  Texting or Writing

Italics =  Sign Language or Recap

RECAP

**Jack: "You're going  to be staying in the hospital for a week or so to make sure you don't come down with something again. You're also underage so they're going to try and set up a foster house for you. But there is another option. I could take you and we could continue with the story that I'm your boyfriend, but it's entirely up to you."*

Present time December 31st afternoon:

He- what- how-?

Why would he do this?

My mind was in turmoil. He WANTED to take care of me?

No one besides my parents had ever truly cared for me. How should I respond?

Should I accept? All these thoughts flashed through my mind in a mere matter of seconds.

Then I remembered that he was still waiting for an answer. "You ok mate?"

I decide to go for the direct approach, "Don't you have a girlfriend? Jess right?"

Jack's face dropped in astonishment. "No way! We've just been friends a long time! She's not my girlfriend!"

"Ok." He looks confused for a moment.

But his eyes brighten as he realizes what I said. "Wait, so you'll do it?"

I'll probably regret this later but whatever. "Yes."

I startled slightly when I heard the door open. It was the doctor, with Jess right behind him.

It was a different doctor this time, not Dr. Adam. "You seem to have a death wish. Not only was your arm extremely damaged when you came in, it was infected, you had very bad pneumonia and numerous bruises and abrasions across the entirety of yourself. You'll need to stay in for a week or so, we need to get that infection under control."

Instead of making things complicated I just decided to text Jack and speak through him.

"She says that she wants to get out as soon as possible."

I catch the name on his tag and its Dr. Boyle. "Like I said, the soonest she can leave is a week from now. Any sooner and there is an extremely high chance she'll have a relapse."

I text Jack, he looks at me and says,"No. You'll stay until it's safe for you to leave. There aren't any other options."

Dr. Boyle seemingly ignores this exchange and says, "You're her boyfriend right? You signed that on the papers last time she was in here. I'm assuming you'll be taking care of her again? I'm going to need to talk with you later about the care for her wound. As for now please try to get her to eat."

With that he leaves the room.

Jess had just been standing off to the side for the entire exchange until the Doctor had called Jack my boyfriend. At that she had got an indescribable expression on her face.

It was like a mixture of jealousy, anger, and resentment, all at the same time. Jack had said there was nothing between them, but why had she reacted that way?

I dismissed the thought as Jack turns to look at me. "You heard the doctor, you need to eat. Um, now how do we get food here?"

I look pointedly at the remote next to my bed, but he doesn't get it so I reach out with my right arm to grab it.