Chapter 3, Injured

Arya's way of talking now

Bold = Texting or writing

Italics = Sign language

In the ambulance the first paramedic starts asking me questions. "What's your pain on a scale from 1-10"

"11 duh." The second paramedic looks at me like I'm crazy, which I probably am.

He explains, "We've just injected some painkiller, let us know when it starts."

I turn my head back towards the first paramedic as she says, "Do you have anyone you want us to contact?"

"No"

She continues asking questions, "How old are you?"

I try and avoid the question by writing, "Painkillers working."

She acknowledges it and re-asks the question. "Good, Um but how old are you?"

"I'm tired"

Now she looks annoyed, "Miss, I need to know how old you are."

Tired and dizzy I give her an answer, "17"

She raises and eyebrow at this, but continues speaking. "You're going to need an adult to sign all the forms. Can you give us a number so we can contact your parents?"

"Don't have them."

Finally with all my short answers she's starting to look frustrated, "Parents or the number?"

"Parents"

Composing her features, she continues. "Do you have any sort of adult relation or friend?"

"No"

Thankfully we arrived at the hospital just then. I was glad that I didn't have to answer any more questions. The painkillers hadn't actually been working but I just needed him to leave me alone. I had endured really bad injuries but this was probably the worst because it had been combined with the salt and sand in the ocean.

As I was being wheeled quickly into the hospital, they hit something and the movement jarred my arm. That was when I completely blacked out.

*After surgery to fix her arm**She's been asleep/unconscious. It's now 7:00pm.*

When my eyes open the room is spinning. Quickly I shut them, not wanting to fall from wherever I was. After a while I was able to open my eyes without my head freaking out.

Then it all came back to me. Surfing, seeing the shark near so many people, practically fighting it of bare-handedly.

Silently I chuckled mirthlessly at the irony of the situation. Me trying to be the hero then ending up in one of the worst places possible for a homeless 17 year old.

Now I was furious at myself, throughout the entire process I had been thinking that even if I saved one life it would make up for one of the many I killed. 

My fate was sealed, I would probably be sent into the foster system then end up ultimately in jail. I looked down at my arm fearing the worst.

Dang, all I could see was a soft cast. Well, that can be fixed. Glancing around the room to make sure there isn't anyone nearby I sit up slightly. A wave of pain hits me as I feel the many bruises I got. Holding my breath I continue pushing myself upwards.