Chapter 25: His Parents

CAROLINE

When we arrived at a basic oak wooden door along the hall, William stopped. "This is them. This is where I grew up."

"What's your parent's names?"

"Jerry and Nora." He knocked on the door and his dad was there ready.

"Son." He looked to me and grinned, "Caroline."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Jerry-Dad."

He was a little rounder than you'd expect for a werewolf, but he was later into his years as well. He had William's same eyes and brilliant grin through a full scratchy beard.

"It's Dad," he laughed. Nora stepped up beside him, her blonde curls long around her heart shaped face. She was wiping her hands on a white apron. They were both in clothes fit for church. It made me feel a little underdressed in jeans. "This is my wife, Nora."

"Good to meet you Nora," I set out my hand for her and she instead pulled me into a full tight hug.

"You silly girl, don't start calling me Nora now." She smiled through her words and then placed a loving hand on my cheek. "Oh, you truly are beautiful. And that voice!" She made an appreciative noise. "I feel so light and tingly, like you sang right to my soul!"

"Thanks." I spoke with a shy smile.

She then released me back to William. "Dinner will be ready in just a minute. I just need to finish setting up the table."

"I can help," I offered.

"No, you don't need to do anything Pumpkin. Just give me one sec." She gave my hand a squeeze and then ran around a corner.

"I'll let you two wash up. I'm going to go remind her to breathe," Jerry chuckled and followed.

"The restroom is this way," William started stepping through the living room and before I could even start following I realized I'd seen this room before, or at least the furniture and placement. Maybe the walls were painted different.

There was the same dark blue couch against the wall, pointing at a tv. Sure it was a more updated tv, but unchanged wide bookshelf stand under it. A different armchair but same wooden coffee table beside as the vision. I almost expected to see a little boy in trouble sitting in the corner.

You showed me this room while we were dancing?

He stopped his walking and looked around the room, smiling. Well, not this room specifically. We moved here a few years after, but it does look very similar. He looked at the blue couch. Same couch at least. He laughed. Quite a bit more worn though.

I looked around in wonder, beaming at the family portraits and furniture. I felt like I was walking into a dream and not for the first time.

Nora's voice flowed from the kitchen. "Are you two getting washed up?"

"Yes mother," William grinned, eyes on me.

Sorry. I internally giggled and followed after him to the bathroom to wash.

A few minutes later we were all seated around a family table in a yellow painted kitchen. The white cabinets against the coloring made the room feel cheerful and the spread of crispy pork chops, oven roasted potatoes, fresh garden salad, and homemade rolls made my mouth water. The rolls had just come out of the oven, so the room had that fresh bread scent.

"It smells so lovely mom," I complimented.

"Thanks Pumpkin," she grinned and started passing dishes around.