Chapter 55: Mission

Once we went through the doors, the hallway was in the same disrepair as if a bomb had gone off, but the guard turned right away for the stairs.

I stopped my next steps, staring with trepidation down the broken hallway. "Wait. We need Roth."

"This way," he sneered and started climbing.

I didn't like it.

Would it be a trap? Did Melvin already tell them about me? I turned back to the doors, considering the abort.

"Move it!" The guard commanded.

I deflated. That's probably why the other three guards were stationed. We could not run.

We were trapped.

I made a whimper and continued after.

We followed up and up and up, never a sign showing where we were or what floor was next, but cameras were everywhere. Black domes with white frames held as stalactites nearly every twenty feet.

William was right. There was no way we would have even stepped foot on an elevator.

And I started to drown in despair about the mission. Getting away from this guard to even peek through the doors into the different floors was never going to happen. There's no way I would find Melvin.

All was lost.

I should have been smarter.

We shouldn't have came.

This was a trap and now I'd be heart and brains in a jar.

And I brought William down with me.

William squeezed my hand and gave a tough smile down to me. At least we'll still get you that piece of paper.

I looked to him in surprise. You think he's actually taking us to Roth?

You don't?

I shook my head. Her office was downstairs.

He smiled, the sight warming my soul. I can smell other werewolves that have been this way.

Really?

He nodded.

You sure? I questioned.

His shoulders moved in a silent chuckle. You doubting my fancy werewolf nose? He quoted my words.

No. A smile started across my face, blooming through the gloom. Okay.

Yes, we still had reason to be there. A piece of paper.

My heart lightened. I giggled and it caused the guard to look back.

I guess all was not lost. We'd be proper married now.

I squeezed him back, and funny enough I felt happy. It wasn't like the trip here had been wasted. And suddenly I felt like all was going to be okay. One minute, we're walking to our doom, the next I'm sure we're actually going to be married.

And that was good enough.

About six floors up, Johnson finally stepped to a door. "In here." And we followed through.

I reared in shock to see what had to be a hospital ward. "What?" I even said out loud.

Johnson growled and rolled his eyes. "Roth's office is temporarily here. You stupid dogs always expect a castle. Now follow along!" He started moving again.