Chapter 37: Fremont Territory

WILLIAM

After three days driving instead of two, through Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and now Utah we were almost back to Hightop, closing in on the turn up the mountain to Fish Lake.

Kara was in the car behind me but being linking wolves made it so the separate drive wasn't too unbearable. She was telling me about a few months ago when she was asked to go help the animal shelter next door to her office because there was a stray mother dalmatian who had been injured, maybe with an arrow. She had a cut clear into her abdomen that was bound to get infected but wouldn't let anyone in the cage with her and her puppies.

...and Tina just kept trying to get in the cage, but Donna would growl and look like she was going to tear Tina a new one if one finger touched her puppies. So they called me. I knelt down by the cage and met Donna's eyes and her growl suddenly slowed and she bent to me. Oh... William? Does that mean I made her submit?

Sounds like it Love. Did she let you in?

Yeah. So I got in there with her and these adorable little spotted floofballs started climbing all over me. It was so hard to keep my arm still enough to get Donna sedated! She giggled through the link as she showed me the picture of puppies taking over her lap.

I watched a brief moment and adjusted my thoughts back to the road. I put my blinker on and started the upwards drive to Hightop.

I got her sedated and then...

Her story dropped off suddenly and she missed the turn. When I noticed I laughed and pulled over to the side to wait for her. Sweetheart, you missed the turn thinking about puppies. Turn around.

After a moment pause, she asked mildly. Where's the dungeon?

The dungeon? What dungeon?

With the sick werewolves. Where's the entrance?

I don't know why that matters.... Honey? You need to turn around. You're going the wrong way.

No. I'm not. Where are they? I need to help them.

Oh shoot.

I realized her healer was in command. I flipped the car in gear and turned a U to follow her. Kara Love. The dungeon isn't close. Hightop is still another half hour away. I'll take you there as soon as we get back okay?

There was no answer. She was still driving, mind scanning the area.

Kara? There is no dungeon here? Is a werecreature out there?

Her inner voice didn't come through for several seconds. Yes.

A relieved breath left me that she was still able to answer. Okay. Park to the side and I'll come find you. We can locate it together. I hit the speed, trying to catch up to her.

A whole minute past as I tried to see how far she'd gotten.

Are you still on the road? Pull over Sweetheart.

Another few seconds before she spoke again. I'm on a dirt road.

"Shit." Kara, stop driving right now. Deeply, I brought an inhale in trying to follow her car. She hadn't been this far. Kara, where are you? I started getting anxious as I knew she was trying to follow one of those monsters. I flipped the car around again, my eyes darting back and forth at the road, trying to find a dirt road. When I found one and her car's scent was at it, I pursued. Kara, I found the dirt road. I'm coming.