Chapter 4: Mate

WILLIAM

Walking back to my office from the dungeon cells bellow I was still angry with Eric thinking the wedding was a good idea with everything that was going on. Still no word on what this werecreature disease is or what we can do to fight it. I fear that by this time next month, we will have no more holding cells. I will have to get a team to figure out how to make more.  I turned the hall to my office and stopped dead.

What's that?

There was a new aroma on the air. Beautiful and captivating. The scent was intoxicating. My wolf even rumbled in my head trying to break to the surface. It was like a mate call. But I knew it couldn't be that. Could it? Wolves get their mates at eighteen. I was twelve years past that. We all agreed long ago that my chosen mate must be already dead. One of those teenage females that were murdered in the rogue attacks thirteen years ago. That's why I never found her. She was already gone.

But why was I feeling like that's not the case anymore?

Could it be?

I sniffed the air again, deep into my chest and closed my eyes in relief. It was so beautiful. Irresistible floral and citrus. I couldn't even describe it. And when I followed it, it went into my office. I burst in, expecting to see her standing there, but my office was empty. But she had been there and as I begged to bring that scent more to my nose I searched around the room for any spot she could have touched letting me scent her better, but nothing had been touched by her hand.

But my mind shot up when I thought her scent got heavy and I looked around expecting her to materialize out of thin air. Where was she?

I walked outside desperate to find the owner of the scent and followed it to Eric's door. I didn't even think to mindlink Eric and ask who might be in his office or even knock. I just opened the door, swung wide frantic to see her.

And she was there.

Standing still and there. Already facing me.

Like she had been waiting too.

"Mate," my wolf urged out of my mouth.

She was gorgeous. Tall and curved in the right places. Striking blue eyes and rosy cheeks. Soft blonde locks that held just a scattering of strawberry, swayed over her shoulder. Mature, grown woman. No wolf presence. Human. My mind was consumed with her scent. With her body. With her. I would do nothing more than make sure she was protected and loved every day for the rest of my life, human or not. She was made as the perfect fit to me.

Her gentle fingers touched at my heart, throat, head, and hand.  Each movement sending shocks of pleasure running through me.  The feel of her touch was divine.

My wolf howled inside me recognizing the absolute submission, and as she bared her neck, I was consumed to mark her. There was no human left in me to worry about what it would mean later. I only knew that my mate wanted me to mark her. For me to call her mine and to show the world that she was proud to wear my marks. Both of them.

She fell into my arms and I steadied her, feeling the pleasing tingles that sparked between our new bond.

She was mine and I had marked her not even knowing her name.

Maybe she realized that too because her head then shot up to me and she stepped back alarmed. I never wanted her to worry and went to touch her when she slid around me and ran out the door. My eyes returned from the wolfen gold and John's stupid voice from the wingback interrupted my flight to my mate.

"The eff dude? Did you just mark that girl?"

Tarin scoffed. "She's his mate. She submitted. Of course he's going to mark her."