Chapter 26: Evan

CAROLINE

Will and I were back on the bottom floor, surrounded by beady eyes and howling beasts. I was still nervous, but not exactly frightened like I was before.

The half-turned wolf was still in the same cage but he now had clothes on and a soft chair to sit at. There was a coffee cup near the door, so I supposed he had a warm drink sometime as well.

William started getting updates from Ryan, so I stepped up to the wolf's door and looked in. "Hi," I said timidly.

He stood from the chair and came to the front of the cell, wrapping his furry hands around the bars. He nodded once in greeting. Hello.

I turned back to William and smiled, then back to the wolf. "I'm Caroline, or Kara. I've been known as both. Are you okay?"

He took a deep nod. Yes.

I pointed to the cup. "Have a good coffee?"

He shrugged. Jerks never heard of sugar?

I giggled. You could have just asked for it to be sweeter.

He looked up, yellowed eyes spearing on me. You can hear me?

Yes. I smiled warmly. It's called a mind link. It's okay, I just learned myself.

His face tilted and a huff like sound came from him. I know what linking is. He motioned with his chin to the others behind me. They can't hear me.

I turned back around wide eyed at everyone. "You can't understand him?"

Ryan asked confused, "Why? Can you?"

"Yes."

Their shocked eyes met mine too. "You can understand it?"

"That's rude. Him." I looked back to the creature. "And yes. He's upset there wasn't more sugar in his coffee."

William walked over warily and turned to it. "Sorry wolf."

He looked to me. My name is Evan.

I smiled and held my hand out through the bars to shake.

William gasped and grabbed my hand back. "Don't!"

I yanked my arm from William's grasp. "Evan is nice. Give me a break."

"Evan?" His eyes trailed back to the creature. "Uh, hello Evan."

Evan snorted.

I put my hand back between the bars. Nice to meet you Evan.

He examined his own hand, covered in fur and razor wolf nails, but ultimately human. He put his hand in mine, careful of his nails against my skin.

The guards looking on gasped.

I did too and all my senses cleared.

My gaze focused in on Evan and his eyes brightened to gold, holding my gaze.

I pressed my other hand in the cage and he stepped forward so his nose was between the bars. I curled my hand to his cheek and let the energy start flowing through.

My mind started fading, but I was still more aware of myself than I had been before. The world around me and him losing its form.

Evan's features started shifting, the skin rippling as muscles tightened or lengthened. Our eyes stayed dead on each other. His breathing started getting deep and ragged. His teeth pulling in humanized and clenched in pain.