Chapter Fourteen

Under the cover of blackened night, in the streets of New York, Magnus Bane and Simon Lewis walked at a quickened pace, tracking Alec with the silver dust that had traces of his energy inside of it. All thanks thanks to Alec projecting his consciousness back at the warlock's apartment. The two Downworlders walked in silence with Simon being too afraid to speak and Magnus just choosing not to. He would have preferred Luke to do this, or Isabelle, but Luke was with Clary and Jace getting Jocelyn back from Valentine and Isabelle had to head back to the institute with Lydia with the surprise visit of the inquisitor who just decided to drop by. So Magnus was stuck with Simon who at the request of Raphael tagged along to find Alec.

"So how long does this take?" Simon asked, looking at the silver dust, floating above Magnus' open hand swirling around like a wide whirlpool. Magnus rolled his eyes and sighed, starting to get frustrated.

"Are you doing the tracking Simon?" He turned around to face the vampire whose only response to the question was silence. "No, and I don't know how long this will take because this is the first time I've ever tracked a Banhee with energy dust. Because the last this happened was twenty years ago and no other Banshee or Banhee projected their consciousness to us so we couldn't find them!!!" Magnus shouted the last but turned back around and walked following the unseen trail of Alec's energy slowly getting stronger as the dust became more wide.

"So they couldn't project their consciousness while being held by Valentine."

"No they didn't or couldn't. Alec said Valentine trapped him in a state he also said that his body is catatonic he never said his mind was."

"So last time Valentine did all this he trapped every single Banshee and Banhees mind and body in a catatonic state so they couldn't use their powers. So why didn't Alec's mind become trapped like the others?" That was the question on both Simon and Magnus' mind. The warlock shrugged not knowing the answer.

"I am not sure, maybe it has something to do with the fact Alec only discovered his abilities or maybe he is more powerful than we all thought, he did predict your death."

"What! He knew I was going to die!!!" Simon shouted in complete and utter shock. "How come he didn't tell me or-"

"To be fair Simon he only knew it was you like twelve hours before you died and at the time he was busy getting the cup from the police station and he did try to tell Clary but she didn't listen from what he told me so."

"Well I know what that's like, not being listened to. It sucks."

"I agree with that." Magnus mumbled. "We downworlders don't get listened to when it comes to the Clave so get used to it."

"Terrific. Can I ask you something?" Simon questioned and Magnus nodded. "Luke told me that Valentine wiped them all out in one night. But it's looking more like he did it one-"

"At a time? Yeah. A detail the Clave never told us, they also didn't tell us about the whole mental health drugs aspect of it. Cause it makes sense." Magnus said, starting to see all of the little bits of the puzzle come together. " Valentine captured them all, trapped them one by one catatonic and then one by one again injected his cocktail of drug into their brains, killing them and making them-"

"Feel each other's death in the process. He killed the last one the night you and the others heard the scream. That's messed up."

"Truer words were never spoken." Magnus muttered as they both continued walking until they noticed the dust had started to become calmer, now forming a weird circle above Magnus' hand. Both him and Simon looked at where the tracking dust had led them which only confused Simon because of the location. They were both standing about a good hundred feet away from a decaying, rotting iron works building that looked like it was barely standing.