29 // The Smile Advantage

The Smile Advantage

"Archer, someone's moving in across your apartment later. Help her out with her luggage."

I pursed my lips and nodded. "Around what time?"

"Hindi nagsabi," sagot ni Auntie. "Pero ngayong araw ang dating. Abala ka ba mamaya?"

"I'll make time, Auntie."

"You should. Magandang bata ito, Archer." Humalakhak si Auntie. Nangiti lang ako at umiling. "H'wag kang puro trabaho. Iyan naman ay hindi ka mamahalin."

Creases started to form on her forehead I had to playfully tweak a bit of her cheek to make her feel at ease. It earned me a light smack on my arm though, and I still boyishly grinned.

"Sige na, Auntie. Lalabas po ako mamaya para tumulong."

Auntie Tonette drew in great effort to tip-toe and tousled my hair, and it was possibly of out frustration because of the way she made a mess outta me. Halos manlisik ang mata niya bago ako pinagsaraduhan ng pinto.

I knew she was a bit mad—palagi akong pinagsasabihan tuwing inuuna ko ang trabaho kaysa raw mabuhay. Her and Uncle Benj's idea of living was to have someone special to love and, when lucky enough, to also be loved by them.

I guess my idea of living was to wake up working and sleep after working—eat in between so I would have the energy to continue working. An unexciting pattern, yet it drove people to become actively curious about my secret as to how I was able to achieve a managerial position at a young age.

They didn't know that I prepared for this my whole life. It wasn't that that I didn't like it but I didn't exactly have a choice.

I was an Asian outcast in middle school. I couldn't take the school bus or else all hell would break loose. Instead, my mom carpools me to and from school because it was the only choice.

My ambition to work started when Mom brought me one day to Dad's workplace—at the hotel. He was an esteemed executive that's why our family was well-respected, too. The employees would easily spot us whenever we're around and treated us highly yet warmly. It was a different kind of feeling to me as a kid without friends at school. That's why my Mom often brought me to the hotel on days I got off school early aside from weekdays. I had no friends, but I had plenty at the hotel. The clerks, bellboys, chefs, managers, directors—name it, I had a friend in every life of work.

So if I was asked to lay down my truth, I'd truthfully say that there was no secret, only a routine. My life, or job, was not as glamorous as others thought it was. And I guess it was rooted in one's nature to perceive that other people's lives were always better than our own.

If I had the chance, I'd like to tell them that it wasn't always true.

Metal rods clanked as I brushed the blackout curtains to the side, expecting a bit of sky light to squint my drowsy eyes, but it was already dark.

Ah, shoot! Bigla akong nahimasmasan at tumakbo agad pababa ng apartment complex para puntahan si Auntie.

"Uhh... sorry. I dozed off the afternoon. The new tenant already arrived?" I immediately asked when she opened her door.

"Snooki schlepped." Tumango si Auntie. Napailing ako sa bagong gising kong sarili at hinilot ang sentido.

"I think she's already settled in. Don't worry," she assured me with a tap on my shoulder. "Hindi mo nga lang nakita. Mas maganda pala ang batang 'yon 'pag kaharap mo na. Aakalain mong modelo!"

I couldn't really form a picture in my head. Besides, "Auntie, I'm not interest—"

"Oo! Alam ko na iyan! Halos wala nang tumagos dyan sa interes mong bata ka. Iisa nga, sablay pa."