16 // A Hope for Snookiss

A Hope for Snookiss

Good morning, Brooklyn!

Today, I was feeling a bit energetic that I decided to stroll the cityon my bike to watch the sunrise. I couldn't sleep either, so I might as wellstart winging the day as early as five a.m.

Hinawi ko ang blinds ng bintana at nakitang madilim pa ang ulap. Humangin nang malakas at naabutan ng mata ko ang pagkalas ng mga dahon mula sa puno. I placed the blinds back and I fixed myself breakfast first. I also prepared some for sick Archer. Mamaya ko na ibibigay 'yon sa kanya pagkabalik ko. I was sure he's still asleep, just like the rest of the population of the city.

Hindi ako sensitibo sa lamig o init, pero iba talaga ang simoy ng hangin tuwing umaga at kung kailan madalang ang tao. Kaya bago lumabas ay binalot ko pa rin ang sarili ko sa makakapal na tela.

Jacket, dark jeans, and boots on, then, I was off outside to the muted street and below the grey skies. It was amusing to think that in each time of the day, we had different versions of the world.

Hushed dark evenings where our hearts were nothing but fiery. Roaring midday where the colors of reality were most vivid. And the delicate daybreak where our hearts were primed to burn for the grind until we're all set to wing it.

I pedaled my bike along the literally difficult road and as I realized how poetic I was thinking. Meh. Nag-pancake kasi ako kanina kaya siguro ganito.

Ang sabi, New York is the city that never sleeps, but let me tell you, it does. Well, for a little bit, at least. It's only really muted from five to eight in the morning, but some people were already out.

Marami akong nakasabay sa pagba-bike, marami rin akong nakikita o nakakasalubong na tumatakbo sa sidewalk ng neighborhood para mag-ehersisyo. Tahimik, oo, pero hindi pa rin talaga mawawalan ng tao at lalo na ng mga pampublikong sasakyan.

Ang ilaw sa electronic billboards ng siyudad ay hindi namatay. The colored lights from the adverts and slideshows on the screen reflected against the glass architecture of the city. Ang ilaw mula sa mga sasakyan ay buhay, at ang tanging ingay ay nagmumula sa kanilang pagbusina, o sa truck trolley na hinihila ng barista sa harap ng coffee shop na hindi nagsara.

I continued to pedal through the easy street. Humahaplos ang lamig sa ibabaw ng damit ko at naramdaman ko ang marahang tagos nito sa aking balat. Ang sarap palang mag-bike sa ganitong oras. Sa oras kasi tuwing papasok ako sa Daily Bloom ay marami ng tao, 'di tulad ngayon na puwede akong mag-breakdance sa sidewalk kung gusto ko.

It was my first time at Brooklyn Bridge on a bike and at this early time of the day. The bridge was a tourist spot, so it's kind of a prize to see it without people blocking the way as they took pictures for the gram.

Bago ako tumuloy sa bridge ay tumigil muna ako sa bukana para paunahing makaraan iyong mabibilis na grupo ng bikers. Sa gitna ng mga kable ng tulay ay sinipat ko ang malayong ulap. Unti-unti nang nawawala ang madilim na asul sa ibabang parte sa likod ng matatayog na establisyemento para palitan ng mga maaliwalas na ulap.

To pursue my day, I balanced my body once again on my bike and cycled behind a biker en route to the bridge. This bridge connected my borough, Manhattan, to another that was Brooklyn.

Hindi ko tatawirin ang tulay dahil hindi naman ako pupunta sa Brooklyn. I halted my bike when I felt I had the perfect view of the sky. I wished I'd brought coffee, because this view and caffeine? Man, that would be amazing!

As I exhaled, I saw clouds of breath emanated from my lips to be one with the air. My eyes gazed straight to wait for the pastel of the sky to change colors.