Epilogue

a flower can blossom in winter

I arrived in New York with a question to myself that goes: how will I survive life as a beautiful young adult?

At first, I incessantly joked around about how I was only here to find someone special. But boy, did I know what to joke about, 'cause here I was... being the happiest I had ever been.

Focusing more on having to survive life by becoming successful in all aspects, I had crossed out the idea that it was okay to only live it because of the voices of the cruel world that hollered something entirely different.

I was happy before, but something lacked and that made me kept on searching places for that one intangible thing I hadn't even got any idea of. But being born into privilege, I was grateful to set foot in Manhattan—a borough that took the form of a missing piece in my life's intricate puzzle.

This had been the longest time I was living far from the norm that the culture back home had instilled in us. If I didn't leave Manila, people, who weren't a family, would straight-up say that there's no money in flowers—that floristry wasn't a real job. Closing my eyes and dared not peek; those were the same faces who'd buy flowers as gifts for every occasion.

And on the other side of the spectrum, you'd come across the people who would say that people with privilege weren't built to feel not a single ounce of failure, misery, and pressure because of the outdated reasoning that money could magically solve anything when it actually couldn't.

If money could buy someone a brand-new brain to replace an overthinkingone, a brand-new skin to accommodate brand-new feelings, brand-new eyes toreplace a dull vision with colours, a brand-new heart to replace bruised one,and a brand-new dream to replace a broken soul—only then I'd be committed tothink that when there's money, there's new life.

I mean. . . I wasn't that devastated with my life. But I also wasn't in a clear headspace. Two different things could be quite kindred. You know?

And today that I was biking my way around the city to go to the flower shop, the haze in my head was slowly clearing up. Great thing that flowers, a chameleon, biking, and the city made it easier for me.

"I'm in New York, I work in a flower shop, got a sixty-year-old retired maiden and a cat chameleon with an attitude as my best friends, and a dreamy guy who'd treat me to a burger at a Michelin-starred restaurant. And... well? I am definitely living the life!" I exhaled with a complacent smile.

Kahit mas lumala ang foot traffic dahil sa holidays, dinama ko pa rin ang little biking moment ko, continuing as the lead in my own chick flick blockbuster movie. That when the camera's pulled closer to the sky, funky music would start, and I'd be the only distinct laid-back civilian who was pedaling her bike in messy trails en route to Daily Bloom.

It was our last day of work this year. I couldn't wait to just enjoy the holidays in the city!

Yeah, but first... close and secure the shop.

"Hey. Uncle Jer left something for you yesternight. Iniwan ko sa workbench sa cold room. You might want to check it out," said Julio when I entered our closed flower shop.

"Yeah, sure. I'll check it." I nodded. "But where's Auntie?"

"Gone to Uncle Benj's house. Why?"

"No reason." I shrugged. Tinanggal ko ang strap ng bag ko at saka pumasok sa cold room. When the door opened, it instantly revealed a matte-black paper bag with a prestige logo and a white flower that exuded luxury all over the place.

I hooked the paper bag on my hand and marched back outside to glare at Julio. Poor, confused, and innocent Julio, he watched me paraded past him to set war across the street.