Chapter twenty-three

Kit woke up the next morning with a mild headache and the warm body of Ty pressed tightly against his, breathing shallowly. Taking a moment, Kit looked down at his boyfriend, curled with his knees up to his chin and his arm draped lazily over Kit's side. Kit couldn't see his face over the thick mop of black hair, but he could picture the way his lips quirked up slightly while he slept. Kit nuzzled the top of Ty's head until he murmured awake.

'Morning handsome,' Kit said as Ty blinked up at Kit.

'What's the time?'

Kit twisted his head to look at the clock on the wall.

'Half eight, why? Got somewhere to be?' Kit said it in a joking way, but Ty suddenly untangled himself from Kit and pushed himself out of the bed.

'Hey, what's the matter?' Kit followed him out of the bed, standing at the foot watching him change into clean clothes until he was sitting on the bed to tie up his shoes.

'We came here for a reason, Kit, we can't spend the whole time doting around like the Seelie queen isn't hot on your trail and your magic isn't killing you.' Ty said without looking up from his task.

'Hold on, killing?! Who said anything about killing? Ty wait.' Kit rushed to take Ty by the shoulder before he could leave the room.

'What's wrong?'

Ty turned around and leant his back against the wall; for the first time this morning Kit could see just how tired Ty looked. It was clear that he hasn't slept fitfully in a long time, and it hurt to know that Kit was the leading cause of this.

"You know what's wrong, and I'm worried that whatever is happening is going to become more frequent. What happens if you're found out and you can't defend yourself. Or we take too long figuring out whatever this is and it gets worse and..."

"Okay, okay, calm down." Kit took Ty by the shoulders and drew him into his chest. Ty instantly reciprocated, wrapping his arms around his frame.

"I'm just tired of all of this. You're always in danger and I know that's part of our lives but if we can get this under control then everything else will be easier to handle." Ty muffled into Kit's shirt.

Kit pressed a soft kiss to the top of Ty's head.

"it's gonna be fine, alright? We're gonna go downstairs, eat a shit ton of breakfast and then Jem and Tessa will help us figure out what's going on, okay sweetheart?"

Ty nodded and pulled back slightly so Kit could see his face. Kit tipped his head up and kissed Ty quickly, trying to reassure him as best as he knows how.

Breakfast was incredible and Kit wasn't sure if British people ate entire three-course meals for breakfast all the time, but if they did, he was seriously going to consider moving in with Tessa. The silence at the table would have been weird back in LA with the massive Blackthorn family, but here, just the four of them, it was comfortable and homely. But Ty's leg bounced sporadically under the table as he pushed around his scrambled eggs.

"...So what we're thinking is we'll get you in your gear and test out your magic in the training room to see what's going on and test the waters a little bit," Jem said.

"The last time I tried to test the waters I nearly injured everyone in the vicinity, so I'm not too thrilled about that." Kit said anxiously, casting a nervous glance over to Ty, who had put his headphones on, his knee bouncing to the beat of whatever classical album he was listening to.

"It's okay Christopher. My time as a silent brother allowed me to learn a copious amount of the downworld, so I have a decent grasp on Faerie magic. Enough, I think, to help you control your magic in a healthy way."