Chapter twenty-five

The next morning, Kit woke up to the calm silence of the countryside, and the strong smell of coffee. Ty's hand was draped lazily over Kit's stomach. It was unlike Ty to still be asleep by the time Kit woke up, but he didn't mind one bit. It was good for Ty to be sleeping in instead of getting up at 5 am to train. From the kitchen, Kit could hear the clattering of pots and pans. Tessa was making breakfast, and his mouth started watering at the very thought of it. He adjusted himself in the bed, and the movement stirred Ty from his sleep.

"What time is it?" Ty asked, his voice raspy from sleep. Kit craned his neck over to the alarm clock on the bedside table.

"Half eight."

Ty practically leapt out of the bed, his hair a scraggly mess, his bare arms marked with sleep. Kit pulled himself up onto his elbows, watching Ty hop into his trousers.

"We aren't in any rush, Ty," Kit said, but Ty seemed to disagree.

"Every second we are relaxing and schilling off responsibilities is a second the Seelie queen gets closer." Ty was right, of course. It could be any day now that she showed up to take Kit, and Kit knew he needed to be ready for then. He reluctantly got out of bed and changed, each movement slow and aching. his bones hadn't got used to the daily attacks on his body. The life of a Shadowhunter was one he still wasn't completely used to.

Ty got in the shower first, while Kit stood in front of the bathroom mirror examining himself. He wasn't crazy muscled like Ty and Julian and Jace, but he was no longer totally skinny. He had gained bulk from the training and the hearty meals. Bruises peppered his fair skin, ugly dark brown and purple splotches on his arms, shoulders, even one on his jaw from when he caught Jem's right hook. He dragged his fingers through his curly hair, disentangling the knots to try and make himself presentable.

Any day now.

The shower switched off, and a second later Ty pulled back the shower curtain and wrapped his towel around his waist. His hair was sopping wet and fell into his eyes.

"Are you alright?" He asked Kit. Kit nodded, grabbing his toothbrush.

"Just checking out my bruises. Perks of being a Shadowhunter; always hurting somewhere."

Ty looked at Kit through the mirror. "I can give you an iratze if you want."

Kit shook his head no. "It's fine, they're just bruises. Nothing compared to what'll happen if the Queen gets ahold of me."

"That's not going to happen," Ty said, so confidently Kit had to do a double-take.

"And how do you sound so sure?"
"You have me."

Breakfast was over within twenty minutes much to Kit's dismay, and by quarter past nine, the two of them were standing face to face on a training mat. Jem was unable to join them, as he and Tessa had to portal to Alicante on official business, but he was sure Kit had a decent handle on his magic by now. He didn't even get a headache summoning it anymore; it was as easy as breathing. Kit cursed himself for being so afraid of it for so long.

Ty nodded and Kit summoned a white spark, watching it slowly mould and grow into a ball big enough to cause some serious damage to a person.

"Three, two one!" Ty counted down and Kit lobbed the ball directly at him. Ty sidestepped easily and watched it hit the wall and dissolve, leaving nothing but a single scorch.

"Good, again."

Again and again, kit summoned and threw, always aiming at Ty, knowing each time Ty would duck, or roll away. He never would have agreed to it otherwise.

They were taking a food break at around midday when they heard the large wooden doors open and shut with a thundering bang. Kit exchanged a look with Ty.

"Tessa and Jem back already?" Kit asked.

Ty shrugged, but Kit saw him reach up behind him to grab the long sword above his head. Ready for anything.

They both lapsed into an uneasy silence, listening to any sounds, but suddenly everything was quiet.

And then the ceiling caved in.

A/N: A short one, but oh my god the new flower card for Kit is beautiful and made me that more excited for TWP!!!