Ten

Back at the Institute, Ty led a shivering Kit into their ensuite and sat him down on the edge of the bathtub. Kit folded his arms tightly around himself, grinding his teeth together so they wouldn't chatter. Ty bent over the tub and turned the hot tap on. The sound of water hitting the ceramic bottom of the tub was oddly calming, and Kit focused on that rather than the mortification he felt. What had he been thinking? Not only had he embarrassed himself in front of Ty, but every single person in attendance at the wedding had watched as Ty practically carried him across the beach. Over one hundred Downworlders and Shadowhunters, including Julian and Jace, saw him as he was. They would think him insane, attention-seeking. Julian would never like him again; he'll kick Kit out as soon as he gets back. He'll tell him he's never allowed to see Ty again. Homelessness, Kit can deal with, Julian hating him, he can cope, but never being allowed to see Ty... that would kill him.

He had become so wrapped up in his head that he didn't hear Ty calling his name. Snapping out of his reverie, he focused on Ty's concerned face in front of him

"The bath is ready," Ty said. Kit nodded, a little absentmindedly. He felt as though he was trapped in some hazy dream. He stood up and pulled his button-up shirt over his head without really thinking. Ty made a small noise in protest.

"Huh?"

"I should leave," Ty said quickly, a blush tinting his cheekbones. "The towel is on the radiator. I'll get you some clean clothes." He reached out like he wanted to touch Kit, but dropped his hand just as quickly, and left the bathroom with haste. Kit threw his head back, horrified.

What are you doing, what are you doing? What. are. You. doing?

He undressed quickly, dumping his sodden clothes in the corner, before settling into the boiling hot water. He would have blanched at the heat normally, but his body welcomed the sudden temperature change. Steam billowed out in puffs like smoke rising from a bonfire. He squeezed his eyes shut at the sudden image of Livvy's funeral pyre, the black smoke that drifted from it. He wouldn't let himself fall back into the darkness.

He knew he was supposed to feel happy, happier than he had ever been. In the past few days, he had kissed the love of his life, committed to staying by his side forever. Kit didn't plan on breaking that vow physically, but mentally... Kit wasn't sure was there at all mentally. His body was in the Institute, in the bathroom connected to his and Ty's room, but where was his mind? Back in the ocean, suffocating slowly. Ty wasn't able to pull that out of the water with his body.

But Kit was happy. He just couldn't feel it right now.

He washed himself thoroughly and stayed in the water until it had gone cold. Eventually, he pulled himself out, grabbed the heated towel and entered the bedroom. Ty was sitting on the bed when Kit appeared, a towel wrapped around his waist. He looked up, eyes widening a touch. He opened his mouth in an 'O' of surprise.

"Sorry, I, uh, forgot. To give you your clean clothes," He gestured to the end of Kit's bed, where a pair of jeans and a black tee were folded neatly.

Kit smiled, revelling in Ty's embarrassed face.

He grabbed a smaller towel from the cupboard and rubbed his hair as dry as possible. He dropped the damp towel on the floor and shook his hair out like a dog. Ty shot off of the bed and rushed to grab the towel. Kit moved at the same time, and when Ty stood back up, the top of his head bumped into Kit's stomach. Ty breathed in a little too suddenly. Kit placed a hand on Ty's shoulder and pulled him upright. Ty was a couple of inches taller than Kit, and he loved it.

"You alright?" Kit asked. Ty looked at Kit in shock.

"You shouldn't be the one asking that. What happened on the beach... It really scared me. I was scared for you. The way you spoke, it-it felt like you had fallen down this hole, and I tried to drop a rope down for you, but it was ten feet too short." Ty's eyes shone with tears.