Chapter twenty

A/N- I'M BACK ON MY BULLSHIT

Julian was sitting in the living room with Emma's legs draped over him casually. She had a book in her hands and was flipping through the pages absent-mindedly. Ty walked in with all the confidence of a fifteen-year-old boy who would not be taking no for an answer. Kit followed behind like a sheep. Julian looked up from his sketchbook with a smile.

'What's up boys?' He asked. Ty stood a couple of feet away from the sofa and cleared his throat as if he was about to start reciting a Shakespearean monologue.

'Kit is struggling with his magic; he can't control it and we are concerned that without intervention it will only get more uncontrollable. With that in mind, we want to go to Devon to get help from Jem and Tessa as they have experience in magic and age.' Julian looked as though he was about to say something, but Ty held up a hand, stopping him.

'I know you feel like you have to protect me, but at some point, I'm going to leave you, leave the institute and you won't be able to protect me anymore. Kit needs help, he's got these strange and frightening powers and it is in everybody's best interest that he learns how to control them before something happens.' Kit noticed that Ty had conveniently left out the fact that the entirety of the Unseelie kingdom is looking for him.

Julian watched Ty for a moment, before turning to Kit, who was hiding not very effectively behind Ty.

'Is this what you want?' He asked Kit.

'Yeah. It is.'

Emma swung her legs off of Julian and stood up. Despite being a couple of inches shorter than Ty, she still commanded the room with her presence.

'I think that's great. You're taking control and it's very mature. I'm guessing you've got this all planned out?' Ty nodded. Emma placed a hand on his shoulder.

'You're more responsible than your brother,' she smiled.

'Hey!' Julian shot off the sofa.

'Do Jem and Tessa know about this? Are they willing to have you guys with them for this undetermined amount of time? How are you going to get a portal there?' Emma whacked Julian on the arm.

'Stop hounding them, Jules. As if you've ever thought before doing something.'

'I'm just making sure they've thought this through.'

Kit stepped forward; his hand gripped on Ty's sleeve to keep him centred.

'We have thought this through. Jem and Tessa don't know because we have no way of getting in contact with them, but they once offered me a chance to go with them to Devon, so I don't think they'll mind our showing up. Do you think we'll be able to get Clary to come round to open a portal? She was here a couple of days ago wasn't she?'

Emma and Julian exchanged a look.

'Yeah, we'll be able to get her.'

'Success!' Kit and Ty were back in the bedroom packing suitcases. Kit had his hand up in the air awaiting a high five, but Ty just stared at him confused.

'I really need to teach you some Mundane traditions.'

Kit was filling his suitcase with all of the clothes in the closet like he was going away on some 6-month vacation. Ty, however, seemed to have packed nothing but weapons; seraph blades, daggers and butterfly knives, his Stele. Two other Steles. Kit peered over.

'Are there even any clothes in there?'

'I only need the clothes I'm wearing, plus an extra shirt. They own a washing machine, right?'

'I guess so... are you expecting us to get into a lot of fights in England then?'

'You can never be too careful. There's a bounty on your head you know. I don't know if the Fae can sense magic when it's being used, but if they can, it will only be a matter of time before they find you, and we have to be ready for it.'

'Yikes okay then.'

Julian had called Clary half an hour prior, and she told them she would be here within the hour. Kit couldn't dampen down increasing nausea he felt in the pit of his stomach. They were chasing a ticking time bomb, and he didn't like the idea of putting Jem and Tessa in danger by showing up at their door unannounced and demanding them to help him. What were they going to get out of this other than the imminent danger of Seelie knights? And Ty...

Kit looked over at the beautiful boy, the picture of concentration as he shuffled around his many daggers so that they fit in the suitcase. The two of them had been through some shit in the past year, but through it all Ty's loyalty never once faltered. Kit knew Ty would be willing and ready to follow Kit to the ends of the earth, and he had. But it had almost gotten him killed. He knew that was the life of a Shadowhunter, but Kit didn't think he would ever be able to get used to the notion of living a life with the constant fear of early death.

Kit made his way over to Ty, wrapping his arms around him from behind and resting his chin on his shoulder. Ty finished zipping up his suitcase, ignoring Kit, who savouring the heady smell of Ty's body spray.

'Are you okay?' Ty said without bothering to move. He rested his own hands over Kits, rubbing circles into his skin with his thumb.

'I'm afraid.' Kit said honestly.

'I know you are, but we'll get through this together. With the help of Jem and Tessa, you'll gain control of your powers and when the Seelie Queen finds you, we'll be ready. Nothing's going to happen to us. We'll be alright.' Ty said confidently. Kit knew Ty believed what he was saying, and as much as Kit wanted to believe as well, there was still that ever-present doubt at the back of his mind. The one telling him that this was where he died.

Clary arrived exactly on the hour. Ty and Kit were already in the living room, suitcases in hand. Kit made sure to say goodbye to Dru beforehand; she had begged to come with them, but Ty had insisted that it was too dangerous for her. She had stormed up to her room, making the door slam just loud enough to be heard from downstairs. Julian, Emma, Helen, Mark, and Diana all hugged them goodbye before Clary opened the portal. Ty looked at Kit, his grey eyes fierce with determination.

'You ready?' he asked.

'As I'll ever be.'

Hiya guys! Its been almost a year since I've updated this, but even so, I've been continuing to have people read and enjoy this story, which is truly astounding to me. The whole world is in lockdown right now so what better time to pick this up!! I want to thank everybody for the continued support during what I am going to call my hiatus. I love Kit and Ty more than any other fictional characters, and I consider this an escape from the shitty reality of the real world, and I hope you guys enjoy and find escape in it too. Enjoy the new chapter!

Freya xx