Seven

The institute burst into raucous noise. People took turns to hug and congratulate Alec and Magnus. Clary and Jace seemed particularly excited. Kit watched Clary throw herself onto Alec, a smile the size of Jupiter splitting her face. Jace thumped Magnus on the back rather aggressively, before pulling him into a bro hug. It was a wonderful thing to see, and Kit watched on from the sofa, not wanting to intrude on their happiness.

Ty moved over to the happy couple once the crowd had dissipated. He was almost the same height as Alec, even though Alec had nearly a decade on him. Kit wondered when his growth spurt would come; Jace was a man of stature and strength, and he seeped intimidation out of his non-existent pores. Apart from their golden hair and last name, Kit and Jace couldn't be any different.

"We now only have..." Magnus flipped his bare wrist over and pretended to check a watch.

"Forty-three minutes until the wedding. You are all invited, naturally, so get ready and get down to the beach." Magnus cocked his head and smiled. Alec linked his arm with Jace's, and Jace took Clary's hand. The four of them left the kitchen, and Julian immediately began herding the others to their rooms.

"Everyone put on your best clothes! Tav's, Mark will help you pick out a nice black suit. Dru, put a dress on. Nothing with skulls."

Everyone complied, leaving the kitchen. Julian approached Kit, who had started for Ty's room. He craned his head up to look at Julian.

"Do you have any suits?" He asked.

"I'm not sure. I have my white one from... But I don't know if I've got any black ones."

"Well you can't go to a wedding wearing that," Julian gestured to Kit's attire, wincing slightly when he noticed his bare feet.

"I can look."

"If you can't find anything, borrow one of Ty's. I know he's a little taller than you, but you can fold the sleeves up. It won't be noticeable." Kit appreciated the help and left the room lighter than he'd come in.

Ty was sitting on Kit's bed when he walked in. He had his headphones on. And he was shirtless.

Kit could have collapsed on the spot. A fifteen-year-old boy with clothes on, a toned, muscled Shadowhunter underneath. Kit saw the white scars where runes used to be, the inky black ones still there. A singular, raised, jagged line shot out from the corner of his Vee, cutting diagonally to his abdomen. It was red, like it had only recently been healed. Kit couldn't recall where he might have gotten it.

It surprised Kit how much of an impact the sight had on Kit. How much he struggled to draw breath. Ty looked up all of a sudden and Kit jumped, stumbling into the door, slamming it closed. He laughed breathily, all too aware of the way Ty's muscles flexed as he stood. He had clearly just gotten out of the shower, his black hair impossibly darker, with a single curl slowly dripping water onto his chest. Kit wanted to throw up. All of his senses felt heightened; he could practically hear the droplets hitting Ty's skin. Ty shucked off his headphones and placed them on Kit's bed.

"Are you okay?" Ty asked. Kit nodded, going pink.

"Mhmm, Just need a suit." Ty stepped away and went to his bed, picking up his button-up and folding his arms into it. With every button done up, Kit could breathe a little easier. He pushed himself away from the door and to his closet, pulling it open to examine the contents. Buried right at the back was a single black two-piece. It wasn't his, and the jacket shoulders were slightly moth-bitten, indicating its age. He pulled it out and laid it out on the bed. Turning his back to Ty, he yanked his top over his head and shucked off his jeans. He froze when he felt a brush of cold air past his back. Ty appeared opposite the bed, leaning over to grab his headphones just as Kit went to grab his shirt. His hand knocked Ty's and he yanked it back immediately, his face burning. Ty looked at Kit; not his face, and Kit watched as Ty dragged his eyes from Kit's boxer shorts up to his neck. It was almost as if Ty had no control over what he was doing. He grabbed his headphones and practically sprinted back to his side. Kit finished dressing in mortifying silence.