chapter eighteen

Kit woke up shivering and cold, despite the fact that he was covered in thick blankets. He felt his stomach flip upside down and he shot up, ripping the covers off of him. He pressed his hand against his forehead, feeling the heat radiating off of his skin. He leant forward, folding his head into his chest, breathing in and out slowly and deeply. He wasn't sure what was going on, but he was positive he was either about to throw up or pass out. In the darkness, he saw Ty's motionless body in his bed. He didn't want to wake him up, but he was starting to become increasingly more concerned. A sudden lurch through his stomach and he was off of his bed and stumbling blindly into the bathroom. He collapsed hard on his knees in front of the toilet and proceeded to heave up his internal organs.
Kit was vaguely aware of the bedroom light turning on and footsteps sound behind him. He clenched his fingers around the bowl, keeping his head lowered.
"Kit?" Ty asked uncertainly. Kit didn't reply, focusing on his breathing. Ty knelt down beside him and ran a hand through his wet hair.
"By the angel, Kit, you're burning up," Ty exclaimed. Ty heard him stand up, and the bathroom tap turn on and off. Ty lifted Kit's head up gently and placed a cup of water in his hand. Kit drank it in one gulp, and Ty had to grab the cup as it slipped out of his hands. Ty took Kit's arm and hauled him off of the bathroom floor, guiding him back into their bedroom and pulling him down onto his bed. Kit sat dazed and confused as Ty wetted a washcloth and started dabbing it gently around Kit's face.
"What happened?" Ty asked quietly. Kit could barely move.
"I don't know." Kit replied, his jaw clicking painfully as he opened his mouth. Ty nodded.
"Do you want an iratze?" Kit nodded, not sure what else he was supposed to do. He was sure he was just coming down with a cold, normal mundane things. But something felt very off about it.
Kit sat motionless as Ty applied the iratze, and then sat down next to him. He wrapped his arms around Kit's shivering body, rubbing his hands up and down his arms. Kit leant into the embrace and rested his head on Ty's shoulders. Ty silently rocked Kit's body.

Kit didn't remember falling asleep again, but when he re-awoke, he was laying in Ty's arms. Ty snored softly by his ear. At first, Kit wasn't sure if what had happened last night was real, or if it was some strange fever dream, however, the fading iratze on his arm solidified it to him. He didn't feel ill anymore, so he brushed it off as a bodily fluke. He didn't move, however, instead choosing to savour the feeling of Ty's arms around him.
*
The next morning, Ty woke up underneath Kit. His mind went back to last night, Kit deathly pale, hunched over in the bathroom. Ty didn't know what to do. He felt completely lost in that situation. Scratches, cut's and bruises Ty could handle, but what happened to Kit was something Ty had never had to deal with before. He was sure that Kit would brush it off as nothing, but Ty just couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen.
Ty didn't want to wake Kit up, but he could barely breathe under him; Kit must have rolled over in his sleep, as his body was now contorted strangely above Ty, who could no longer feel his arms. Ty pulled his knee up under the blanket and nudged Kit's stomach. Kit made a groaning noise and his eyes fluttered open. Ty gave him a small smile.
"Good morning. You're suffocating me." Ty said. Kit's eyes bugged slightly and he rolled over to the other side of the bed. Ty sat up and looked over at Kit, who was laying on his back staring up at the ceiling. Ty couldn't determine the look he had on his face.
"How are you feeling?" Ty asked.
"I feel fine." Kit said simply. Ty frowned.
"About what happened last night—" Ty started. Kit sat up abruptly and gave Ty a sharp look.
"It was a stomach bug, stupid mundane illness." Kit saw Ty's startled expression and he softened.
"You have nothing to be worried about. It's over now." Kit reached over the bed to clasp Ty's hand gently. Ty met his eyes briefly before looking away, not trusting what he saw in his eyes. Ty stood up with a brisk nod and pulled out his training gear. He turned back to Kit, giving him a wry smile.
"Put it on. We have breakfast, then we train." Ty said. Kit rolled over to look at the digital alarm clock. Then with an exaggerated throw of his head, he buried himself under the blankets.
"It's half past eight in the morning!" Kit cried, the sound muffled by the blankets. Ty rolled his eyes, hoping Kit would be able to sense it.
"You're a Shadowhunters now, Kit, that means getting up at half-past eight," Ty said, nudging the lump of Kit with his foot.
"Can't I just stand behind you while you bravely protect me?" Kit said.
"No Kit, that will get us both killed. You need to learn how to properly fight. You also need to learn how to control your powers, because if you lose control in a fight, you might hurt someone you didn't want to hurt." That shut Kit up. Slowly, he emerged from the blankets, hair ruffled, and walked over to collect Ty's gear, his shoulders slightly hunched. Ty wanted to compare him to Tavvy whenever he's having a tantrum, but he thought it best to keep his mouth shut. Kit retreated into the bathroom, which Ty thought was a little odd, seeing as in he had never had a problem changing in front of him before, however, he figured he wouldn't push Kit today, as he was going to get it bad enough later. While Kit was in the bathroom, Ty made the short trip over to Julian's bedroom to retrieve a spare training jacket and boots. He gingerly knocked a couple of times on the closed door. When no sound came from the other side, Ty twisted the handle and stepped inside. His room was pitch black, the curtains were drawn tight. Ty was surprised to see the room so dark, with the door closed, as Julian would normally be awake by now and cooking everyone breakfast. Ty supposed Julian didn't particularly have to worry about being the head of the institute anymore, now that Mark and Helen were here, and Diana had taken up permanent residence. It must have been a massive weight off of Julian's shoulders to not have to hide anymore. Ty could hardly imagine what it would have been like for Julian to carry this burden on his own for so many years.
Ty flicked the light on.
"Julien?" Julien was wrapped up in his blankets, one bare arm wrapped tightly around Emma, who lay next to him. Ty looked to the ground, his cheeks burning hot. He heard shuffling from the bed.
"Shit, hi Ty, what do you need?" Julien rushed, pulling the covers half off of him, freezing midway, and slowly putting the blanket back. Emma lay perfectly still next to him, still asleep.
"I just needed a training jacket and boots. I can, uh, come back in a bit." Ty stammered, taking particular interest in the carpet.
"No it's fine, the jackets are in my closet, boots underneath," Julien said. Ty retrieved the boots and jacket as quickly as he could, and hastily left Julien's room without saying anything. As soon as he closed the door behind him he let out a shaky breath. He pressed a hand to his cheek and felt himself burning with embarrassment.