Chapter 01 | Staring Straight Into My Soul

THE ANNUAL RIVERSIDE BEACH PARTY was coming up

THE ANNUAL RIVERSIDE BEACH PARTY was coming up. The biggest party of the school year besides the Spring Break party. We were officially 3 weeks into our senior year and my class, the class of 2022, had always held a beach party at the beginning of the year as a way of indicating that although school is exhausting, there's always something to look forward to.

The young residents of Riverside High were buzzing about the annual party. As for me, I couldn't care less about the party, I mean, don't get me wrong it's very fun until a bunch of freshman idiots pull up trying to be cool.

But, that just meant they were fresh meat for Kayson and me.

"I went through the back entrance today and saw Yokes, he wasn't very happy about the balloons. Said somethin about retiring this year," Normani, my other best friend, said, her giggles breaking my train of thought.

If an aesthetically pleasing Pinterest board was a human, it would be Normani. She was half American, half Filipina. With all A's in the grade book, community services racked up, after-school tutoring, and on top of that a 4.5 GPA, she was set.

"What's the point of retiring this year when we're already graduating?" I asked with a puzzled expression as we sat down at our usual seats, preparing ourselves for Calculus.

How did I ever manage to pass Precalculus?

She looked at me and just shrugged in response.

The teacher finally shows up and you could just tell their alarm clock didn't wake them up this morning. The Calculus teacher, Mr. Vega, was now in our room, panting with beads of sweat trailing down his face.

I raised my hand and he looked at me.

"I don't recall bears living in a town like ours," I joked, ignoring the giggles behind me. "Also, there's a piece of tissue paper stuck on your shoe."

He glares at me and I give him a cheeky smile in return.

"If you must know, I just came out of the teacher's lounge and balloons came flying at me," he states, snatching the tissue off his shoe and throwing it in the trash. "I find it funny you don't know about this, Ms. Grey."

How does tissue get stuck on your shoe, though?

I stared at him with a blank expression because he was right. It's funny to ever see me oblivious to a prank like this one.

Was it part of the plan to throw balloons at Vega?

I sigh and rest my elbow on my desk, placing my chin on my hand.

"Ah, well, you got me there, Mr. Vega. So, what shall we be learning today?" I steer the conversation away from the pranks so he doesn't try to pry anything out of me. The last thing I need is to be sent to boarding school.