Chapter 13 | I can speak for myself, young lady.

SHAMBLES

SHAMBLES. MY BRAIN WAS IN shambles as soon as I stepped inside the household. My imagination didn't run wild enough before I stepped inside, leaving my reaction to be a look of surprise as we finally went in.

There was one polished staircase on either side of the room, both leading up to the second floor and there were tall vases beside the beginning of the stairs. But, what occupied the space in between the stairs was just that, open space.

Unless you look up. A great, big crystal chandelier was hung up making the entire room glow and sparkle as it cast white reflections along the walls.

If you went straight, it seemed that it would've led you to a large living room with white and black furniture everywhere. It was a reoccurring theme that was displayed across the house as my eyes and brain took in the new environment.

There was a large rectangular window in the living room as well, showcasing the large backyard. I looked to my right and saw an archway into what looked like the kitchen. It didn't occupy anybody.

Did they not have maids?

"The housekeepers show up during the weekends, but, if mom and dad are here they're requested to not come. We can take care of the house together." Kalle's voice sounds from next to me.

"You never fail to impress me."

"It shouldn't be that impressive that I know you well enough to understand the expressions on your face," she whispers. "Can we talk later, please?"

"You've got a lot to explain."

Normani entered my line of vision as I tried to focus. She walked to the left towards the twin archway from the kitchen, moved aside the beaded curtains that I assume stood in like a door.

Kalle followed suit making me and Slater follow her as well. Slater was to my left, still as silent as ever. I know he's never been here before, if he had been, he would've told me.

Maybe she just didn't feel comfortable letting guys inside?

I added that thought to the list of possibilities as to why she didn't show me any of this until now. So far, in the past few minutes, I've gathered three other ideas.

1. This isn't real.

2. I'm dreaming.

3. Logan poisoned me as revenge for the costume insinuation.

I placed my bet on the third idea.

"This is the private living room, reserved for family and close friends only. My parents are looking to replace the beaded curtains with doors before the party, but I just wanted you guys to know that you're always welcome here." Kalle grabbed the remote from the coffee table and switched on the flat-screen TV. Her face was a slate of calm but her hands told me something different as they balled up into fists every once in a while.